Abby
Abby asked in SportsRunning · 1 decade ago

Has anyone tired doing two shorter runs in place of a long run, Does it work as well?

Meaning doing a 10 miler in the morning and an 8 miler in the later afternoon instead of all 18 at once

Sorry I tried to edit the question for a mispelled word and yahoo made a new question out of it.

I was meaning doing the two shorter runs in one day in place of a longer run. I was reading where it is suppose to be just as good as doing the long run all at once while training and if anyone has had sucess training that way?

OK, I was just wondering if anyone tried 2 runs in place of a longer one and if they got the same results in a training program when you need to do the longer runs

Favorite Answer

Several ultramarathon runners train that way to get in very long runs and really build up their mileage. Try mixing it up a bit, it should work out for you.

Hey abby,

Depends on what you mean by "work as well". Although in any exercise regime you will get better results if you mix up your training a bit.

The human body (and mind) very quickly adapts to a consistent training pattern so often doing a series of different activities within your training schedule will improve your endurance and strength. Of course all this depends on what you want to achieve.

If you need to run 18 miles all at once then you should certainly train over that distance, but mixing it up occasionally (say running a shorter distance, but run it much faster) would be most useful.

Yes, and no. Depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Long run helps you get better oxygen level, and usually helps endurance more, short runs if u run much faster than the long run, is better for losing weight, getting tone and lean, and geting fast in terms of sprintin and short distance.

I would hardly classify 10miles as a "shorter run"!! u should be fine as long as they are quicker than the 18miler pace. it will give your body time to recover too

Yes. If you run faster.

.