Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

I smell antifreeze?

When I turn on my heater, I smell antifreeze coming from the air vents. Also all my windows are all fogged up and antifreeze is coming from my defrost vent splattering onto my windsheild inside. I'm thinking that my heatercore is going bad.

Favorite Answer

You've just answered your own question then. Have it replaced ASAP!!!

• Darcy

It could be the heater core, but the smell would be coming from your vents. You may have a very small leak coming from the radiator or a hose or the water pump. Might even be a bad radiator cap. Best thing to do is check both the oil and the coolant. see if either looks milky or just not right. You may also want to put a large piece of cardboard under the van and keep it in place with rocks if the car is left outside in case wind might move it. Check in the am to see if there are any leaks. Hope this helps. Good luck. :o)

• jimmiv

You have a coolant leak in your heater box/heat exchanger.

Your heater uses the hot water from your engine coo lent to supply heat just like a radiator in a house.

Heater boxes are a pain as they are usually way in the back under the dash. Very uncomfortable place to work in. Maybe you will be lucky and it only will be a clamp.

Take care of it soon as it couldn't be good for you to breathe that stuff.

When your heater core goes, you definitely know it. I started to smell antifreeze (which isn't good to begin with), then all of a sudden, my windows fogged up beyond belief.

So yes you need to replace your heater core as soon as possible!

Take Care

Yes, it's your heater core.

If you run it this way, more damage will occur... a quick fix.. open the hood and look for the two hose's running from the heater core ( on the fire wall ) to your motor and cap them off till you get it repaired. of course this also means no heater

Your heater core is leaking,if you can't afford to replace it take the two heater hoses of the firewall and connect them together then you can still drive it.

• Mick W

midiag.e use radiator presure tester to confirm exactly where leak is ie the metrex or an ajacent pipe many trade outlets supply high quality pattern parts at lower cost than manufacturers pray its not a citroen zantia

Source(s): midiag.e use radiator presure tester to confirm exactly where leak is ie the metrex or an ajacent pipe many trade outlets supply high quality pattern parts at lower cost than manufacturers pray its not a citroen zantia

It is deff your heatercore... same thing happened to me..get it replaced asap.. its cheaper to get one from a junk yard and get it tested. and that antifreeze can make ya sick. so for now, keep your windows down

id say heater core unless your heater valve is bad but it would have to be located inside the car

your heater core in your ride is broken its a mini radiator inside your dash that warms the air using engine coolant/ant freeze there hard to replace as there inside the dash ....good luck

Your heater core is going out.