vox femina asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

Should I dye my hair over highlights?

HI:

I am acting paranoid and I don't know if I should be. Here's the deal: I have naturally dark brown hair, almost black and I dyed my hair reddish brown w/ blonde highlights about 7 months ago. My roots are showing a lot now, but I don't know what will happen if I dye my hair with an over the counter product on top of the highlights. I dyed it at the salon this last time and I do not want to pay so much this time, so I want to try a light brown or maybe just brown over-the-counter product this time. Can anyone give me some pointers and maybe even the names of some good products. Also, should I dye my eyebrows with the over-the-counter product? I hear you should never do it, but I have a friend who has done it and thus, I'm now totally lost. Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

I think you should not dye your eyebrows because it`s going to look good

You know what, when it comes to over the counter you get what you pay for. Do not dye your eyebrows with hair dye. Bad idea. If you want professional looking hair then you need a professional to do it. I have a friend who can do it herself, but, when I tried it, it was a disaster and I looked like hell and it ended up costing almost twice as much to go to a salon to get it fixed. If you don't match a color just right you will ended up with some funky looking color, especially since you have two different colors going now, the reddish brown and blonde. I would get it done professionally to cover the hightlights this time for sure. Next time when you only have one color to deal with, maybe try it. I wouldn't, but its your hair.

okay first of all, no need to freak. This is fine, i have the same prob. i died my hair blond with highlights (im usually semi dark brown) and my roots have been showing. so what i did was, i did it in semi permanent first. i went to the store and died my hair with the semi permanent stuff that would last about 2 months. So i could find out how it would react with my highlights. It worked great. And so now im gonna do it permanently.

Yea I have and nothing happened I think you probaly will be able to still see them depending on the colour you choose. Sorry I don't realy know that much about the health of your hair but I do know don't dye your hair all the time with highlights and dye cos it will get dry and hard to manage.

if u feel totally comfortable with it then u should do it ............if u roots are coming out then its a big deal especially if u wanna have nice ...........Alot of people would want to have nice hair with nice streaks.......{i do too but if i cant afford it then its just wutever......i just died my hair all black even though my natural hair continus to come out every couple of weeeks i jus go to my local walmart an buy a 3 $ box of dye and it lastes 4 lyke a month} For some pointers, i think u should definetly dy it even though u want it that perfect...........think of it some people dont even get to dy their hair..............oh and definetly dont color ure eyebrows .......it looks better the natural color as long as their not bushy..........

if you have dark hair GO TO THE SALON! my cousin tried to dye her hair blond for my sisters graduation party and it was a dark brown.... lets say it was orange! and i mean orange!

you can do it easily. buy loreal hair color and apply with 6% hydrogen peroxide.

umm no it'll get hard like my moms

~10 year old grl