Are there any key factor's in knowing whether or not I have Raynaud's Disease?

I constantly have cold fingers and toe's whether the outside temp is cold or not, the get really red or a light blueish color,and when they get really cold or start to warm up i get sharp pains in my fingers. Any body who has Raynaud's or knows about it please let me know.

Favorite Answer

I have Raynaud's Disease or Syndrome. Your symptoms sounds similar to mine but I would recommend going to a doctor so they can confirm that it is not anything else. I think that some symptoms of more serious things can be similar so they screen for one or two other things before defaulting back to Raynaud's.

Back to your question. I went to the doctor when I experienced numbness and then painful thawing when it was still in the 50's. Although my toes get cold, I think my fingers are much worse. The bad news for me, living in Boston, is that no gloves or mittens work well enough. The good news is that if I wear glove liners and mittens and put heat packs in my mittens, I can brave any weather with no symptoms!

Source(s): my personal experience being diagnosed with Raynaud's and living with it

Raynaud's disease is more than simply having cold hands and cold feet, and it's not the same as frostbite. Signs and symptoms of Raynaud's depend on the frequency, duration and severity of the blood vessel spasms that underlie the disorder. Signs and symptoms include: Sequence of color changes in your skin in response to cold or stress. Numb, prickly feeling or stinging pain upon warming or relief of stress. At first during an attack of Raynaud's, affected areas of your skin usually turn white. Then, the areas often turn blue and feel cold and numb, and your sensory perception is dull. The affected skin may look slightly swollen. As circulation improves, the affected areas may turn red, throb, tingle or swell. The order of the changes of color isn't the same for all people, and not everyone experiences all three colors. Occasionally, an attack affects just one or two fingers or toes. Attacks don't necessarily always affect the same digits. Although Raynaud's most commonly affects your fingers and toes, the condition can also affect other areas of your body such as your nose, cheeks, ears and even tongue. An attack may last less than a minute to several hours. Over time, attacks may grow more severe. People who have Raynaud's accompanied by another disease may also have symptoms related to their underlying condition

What, didn't I answer this well enough the first time you asked? OK, how's this:

Raynaud's Phenomenon

Symptoms

Areas affected by Raynaud's phenomenon may:

* Feel cold or numb, as if they have fallen asleep.

* Turn white and then, as warming begins, change to blue and red or change directly from white to red.

* Turn blue, then red with warming. As colors develop, the affected areas may throb, ache, tingle, or feel cold or numb.

The hands, feet, nose, and ears can be affected by Raynaud's phenomenon. Raynaud's may affect one finger or several. Even nipples may be affected. In one series of cases, mothers with Raynaud's experienced nipple pain during breast feeding.1

Raynaud's disease is called the "red, white and blue" disease, because those are the collors of the fingers/toes when exposed to cold temperatures. You should see a rheumatologist for a proper diagnosis and education on the subject.

I have Raynaud's. It was diagnosed in 2004 by a dermatologist. I was in his office for something unrelated and he noticed my hands were bluish. I thought this was normal after having been outside. When I saw this doctor two years ago, the Reynaud's didn't seem to interfere with my life. However, now, I've noticed it worsening. When my hands start to warm, they hurt, and it can be difficult to perform tasks which require manual dexterity with cold hands/fingers.

Reduced Blood Supply to the Extremities: When a person is exposed to cold, the body's normal response is to slow the loss of heat and preserve its core temperature. To maintain this temperature, the blood vessels that control blood flow to the skin surface move blood from arteries near the surface to veins deeper in the body. For people who have Raynaud's phenomenon, this normal body response is intensified by the sudden spasmodic contractions of the small blood vessels (arterioles) that supply blood to the fingers and toes. The arteries of the fingers and toes may also collapse. As a result, the blood supply to the extremities is greatly decreased, causing a reaction that includes skin discoloration and other changes.

Changes in Skin Color and Sensation: Once the attack begins, a person may experience three phases of skin color changes (white, blue, and red) in the fingers or toes. The order of the changes of color is not the same for all people, and not everyone has all three colors. Pallor (whiteness) may occur in response to spasm of the arterioles and the resulting collapse of the digital arteries. Cyanosis (blueness) may appear because the fingers or toes are not getting enough oxygen-rich blood. The fingers or toes may also feel cold and numb. Finally, as the arterioles dilate (relax) and blood returns to the digits, rubor (redness) may occur. As the attack ends, throbbing and tingling may occur in the fingers and toes. An attack can last from less than a minute to several hours.

Keep Warm:

It is important not only to keep the extremities warm but also to avoid chilling any part of the body. In cold weather, people with Raynaud's phenomenon must pay particular attention to dressing. Several layers of loose clothing, socks, hats, and gloves or mittens are recommended. A hat is important because a great deal of body heat is lost through the scalp. Feet should be kept dry and warm. Some people find it helpful to wear mittens and socks to bed during winter. Chemical warmers, such as small heating pouches that can be placed in pockets, mittens, boots, or shoes, can give added protection during long periods outdoors. People who have secondary Raynaud's phenomenon should talk to their doctors before exercising outdoors in cold weather.

People with Raynaud's phenomenon should also be aware that air conditioning can trigger attacks. Turning down the air conditioning or wearing a sweater may help prevent attacks. Some people find it helpful to use insulated drinking glasses and to put on gloves before handling frozen or refrigerated foods.

Quit Smoking:

The nicotine in cigarettes causes the skin temperature to drop, which may lead to an attack.

Control Stress:

Because stress and emotional upsets may trigger an attack, particularly for people who have primary Raynaud's phenomenon, learning to recognize and avoid stressful situations may help control the number of attacks. Many people have found that relaxation or biofeedback training can help decrease the number and severity of attacks. Biofeedback training teaches people to bring the temperature of their fingers under voluntary control. Local hospitals and other community organizations, such as schools, often offer programs in stress management.

Exercise:

Many doctors encourage patients who have Raynaud's phenomenon, particularly the primary form, to exercise regularly. Most people find that exercise promotes overall well-being, increases energy level, helps control weight, and promotes restful sleep. Patients with Raynaud's phenomenon should talk to their doctors before starting an exercise program.

See a Doctor:

People with Raynaud's phenomenon should see their doctors if they are worried or frightened about attacks or if they have questions about caring for themselves. They should always see their doctors if attacks occur only on one side of the body (one hand or one foot) and any time an attack results in sores or ulcers on the fingers or toes.

Treatment With Medications

People with secondary Raynaud's phenomenon are more likely than those with the primary form to be treated with medications. Many doctors believe that the most effective and safest drugs are calcium-channel blockers, which relax smooth muscle and dilate the small blood vessels. These drugs decrease the frequency and severity of attacks in about two-thirds of patients who have primary and secondary Raynaud's phenomenon. These drugs also can help heal skin ulcers on the fingers or toes.

Other patients have found relief with drugs called alpha-blockers that counteract the actions of norepinephrine, a hormone that constricts blood vessels. Some doctors prescribe a nonspecific vasodilator (drug that relaxes blood vessels), such as nitroglycerine paste, which is applied to the fingers, to help heal skin ulcers. Patients should keep in mind that the treatment for Raynaud's phenomenon is not always successful. Often, patients with the secondary form will not respond as well to treatment as those with the primary form of the disorder.

Patients may find that one drug works better than another. Some people may experience side effects that require stopping the medication. For other people, a drug may become less effective over time. Women of childbearing age should know that the medications used to treat Raynaud's phenomenon may affect the growing fetus. Therefore, women who are pregnant or are trying to become pregnant should avoid taking these medications if possible.

Self-Help Reminders

Take action during an attack

Keep warm

Don't smoke

Control stress

Exercise regularly

See a doctor if questions or concerns develop

• m c

Google this, you can read everything including symptons, easier this way, all we would do on here is maybe google it for you, you can do it and take you own time reading up on it. Good Luck.