what is the term/word used for "played randomly, not played the same way twice" in music terms/li?

A friend of mine insists that as a young boy, his music class was taught this term and the word it describes, but the word has eluded him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Improvisation. You make it up as you go and it is different everytime. When you compose, you write it down and work it like you would a first draft of an essay. Improv is also often used in comedy routines.

Some musical works have a "cadenza", where all the players drop out except for the soloist who plays freely (or even improvises) until the orchestra returns to finish the movement.

"Improvisation" and "impromptu" would both fit the bill. I'm a musician and I would probably have to go with the first one, although I'm not sure it's the "proper" music term.

• pnybt

repeat?