Please help with my laptop. It's not even booting up?

I have an Acer 5102WLMi that's been working fine the past 3 months. I have Windows Media Center Edition. But today, I tried to start it up and there was a screen saying "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have cause this." then there are 2 paragraphs stating possible reasons it won't start properly. Neither of them happened recently, so I'm not sure what to do. Then it gives 5 choices for how to boot it up: 3 types of Safe Mode (normal, with Networking, with Command Prompt). Then there is a skipped line and it says: Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked). it skips another line and says "Start Windows Normally". Then it gives instructions on how to choose (up and down keys to highlight) and a countdown to it picking the last option unless a key is pressed. This hasn't happened until today and I'm not sure what caused it. How do I fix it? Thanks in advance for the help.

And I also have more details in my other question. just click my profile and look at the question right before this. Thanks again.

No offense to the 1st answerer because I didn't really make it clear, but I'm already tried all 5 options at least 20 times now. I'm not exxagerating or trying to make anyone feel bad, I'm just adding some information. Again, thanks for the help.

• Wabbit
    Favorite Answer

If you have always defaulted your saved files, pic, etc. to the system folders, you are in for a tough time. When you have a system failure, usually it's due to a corrupt .DLL file. I feel for you if this is the case. Using the XP program disk, NOT the recovery disk may help. Sometimes the option to REPAIR helps, not always. Sometimes it will just rewrite the total system files dependant upon the level of corruption.

You may want to consider booting up with your Norton anti-virus disk and running a scan for giggles. Who know, maybe it's a virus.

• Kdude

Choose last known good. If that does not work choose safe mode and boot it. If that does not work call Acer for support.

After reading bothe questions there is no clues given to help you. However if you go into the Bios and reset the bios to the defaut settings it may boot.

If you did not change anything like installing something it is VERY possible you have hardware problems. Possibly bad memory for example.

Call Acer on Tuesday.

It sounds like Windows got corrupt some how. I would boot into safe mode. Once windows is upin safe mode, then shutdown your machine and birng it back up. If it still gets you to the prompt with all the choices, select the Last known good configuation and see it is logs you into Windows ok. If neither of these work, open up the case where your memory is and reseat your memory chip(s). Hope one of these help

its broken dont bother fixing it.

Source(s): me