what should I expect from "free wireless Internet service"?

I made reservations at a motel recently which advertised the above feature in its room. I instantly and instinctively assumed there would be a laptop/ keyboard waiting inside for me to use. Nothing of the sort. Although the clerk referred me to a close, off site internet cafe, I felt mislead and cheated. My boyfriend told me the room was merely "router compatible", that the motel grounds might have an "antenna" for a connection to a laptop that the customer brings with him; in short, he told me I misunderstood the language and that the motel really did deliver. I vigorously disagree and gave appropriate feedback to managment.

As a comparison, if an airline says "service to city x", we assume they will provide the vehicle (airplane) to transport us there, right? Is this analogy faulty?

Beyond this let-down, my stay was very adequate and enjoyable.

Favorite Answer

Your boyfriend is correct. "Wireless Internet service" is just that -- a "service" through which you can connect your laptop computer to the Internet. If they provide other means of accessing the Internet, they will tell you that specifically, which might be a computer in their business center or at a kiosk in the lobby. But interpreting "wireless Internet service" to mean that they provide you with a computer is going a bit too far.

Stealing is stealing. No two ways about that. It's wrong, BUT at the last place we lived we could pick up public wi-fi from the local McDonald's. Since that is TRULY free wireless internet service, I didn't feel bad about riding off of there service. Wankers trying to connect through my wireless router always got instantly blocked!

Wireless internet service is generally understood to mean that they have a router you can use YOUR computer with.