How much does foster parenting pay?

I want to become a foster parent, but won't want to work so I can spend all of my time with the children. Would my husband and I be able to financially survive?

Favorite Answer

Good on you and I think that your question is very reasonable considering you will have to look after the child and you want to give the child the best. I'm sorry but I don't know how much you will get I just wanted to let you know what a wonderful person you are for doing something like this.

Some people can't do it if they don't get compensated but if they were compensated would be able to do it. In fla. they have 23,000 kids in the system and 5,000 foster parents. Times are tough and people have to eat, so to bad mouth people about not being in it for the money is telling people do it for free and that isn't helping these kids because it isn't going to happen,. There are plenty of loving people who would bring a child into their lives, care for them, play with them, get training and run sick kids around and rock and bathe etc. They could be loved and cared for if only the foster was getting supplemented. So when you bemoan someone for asking, ask yourself if you would foster a child on an average of 18 months for free. Totally for free...you might not be able to give that child a better life than they had financially at least, not enough food, a crappy house etc. I think if you love children and are willing to take in someones child and care for it like your own you should be compensated.

Like all other answers, yes, you do get paid by the state. But don't expect to get rich off of it. The state will give you just enough money for each kid to support them. Basically nothing more. For example, if you care for one child, you might get $500 a month. Two, maybe $1000. Depends on the state. What I do know is that if there is only one person (foster parent), there is a maximum number of kids you can care for. I met my wife when she was a foster parent in Wisconsin. She's quit now that we're married.

• I find it interesting that you're not asking whether you'll be able to provide for the foster children that you supposedly want to spend all your time with, but whether you and your husband will be "able to financially survive." Are you doing this for the children, or because you don't want to work and want to stay home while the state supports you? If that's the only reason, don't do it, these children have suffered enough already. Foster parents who really care about the children make whatever sacrifices are necessary to give these children a better life, they're not concerned about their own financial betterment.

I hope you are not doing this for the cash rewards but instead that you are going to make a better life for some children that have had a bad start with having a family and that is priceless as far as I am concerned

Is it really all about the money???? That is the way you are comming off as that its all about the money! That is really sad!

You are willing to open your home to trobled kids and all you can think about is how much money you can make off of them.?!

People become foster parents for a reason because they care and want to help the lives of children and not to see how much money they can get!

I dont think that you need to become foster parents and leave it up to a family that is willing to care for them and not worry about how much money they can get so they can stay home! My gosh the kids will more than likley be in school or daycare!

• Bren

if you are only doing it for the money...i would not do it

i am sure it pays something

inquire about it

discuss with your spouse

then go from there

make sure you want to be a foster parent for the right reasons

for the child.........

• each state is different...check with your local DHS office they can give you the information you need

i hope you are doing this for the children and not just so you can stay at home and not work

in ok 1100 a month

can youlive on that

your insane.....

the system is created so that the children will live with very poor trashy, criminal parents so they will go through the "revolving door" just like this government does with criminals (bust everyone for petty crimes and make money on it)

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THIS GOVERNMENT DID ANY GOOD OR WAS GODLY TOWARDS ANYTHING?????????????????????????????????????????????????