How do I keep motivation when writing a story?

I also start with a good outlook, but as I get busier, I lose interest, & then I start to think my plot is stupid. Any suggestions or confidence boosters?

Favorite Answer

Yes.

HAVE PATIENCE!

This isn't a *race* to see how fast you can write a novel. I spend 2-4 years writing a book and about half a decade getting it polished, rewritten, edited, and so on.

One book that I have almost ready for a 2009 launch has taken (or will by the time I get to that point), will have taken me 13 years to finally complete--from start to finish.

If you want to write a good book, then you're going to have to learn a little discipline, have a great deal of patience, and real passion for your work--if you want to make it as a notable author.

It's pretty tough for me. I used to write a lot and it's something I simply don't do anymore. I look over stuff I wrote ten years ago when I was younger and see it as completely dumb - the only way I can describe it. I feel like I never had any talent. I never took a writing class or did anything Academic. I have a stack of paper six inches thick, which I wrote on a typewriter before I ever had a computer. I feel like sometimes that I would be better off burning it. It is the only story I actually finished way back when. I used to write just for myself, as a hobby but as I get older, the more empty I felt about what I had written and now I don't want to look at it. I just keep it locked away in my desk under a bunch of magazines and books. I've tried writing a few short stories since then but never get very far into it because I don't feel like I can create anything worth the effort so I've given up on it entirely. I don't know what else to say. I know how you feel and wish I could say something to help. Just keep on with it and don't do what I did.

Well the first thing you should remember is that since you manage the plot a lot, you get use to it and it becomes dry to you, but to the reader it will be the first time. Seriously, how often do you read a book 20 times? But when writing it you go over it countless times, so naturally you should be able to see how even the most genius plot gets dull to the writer. Just remember that it will be your reader's first time reading it, and you just have to trust that they will like it the same way you did when you first thought of it.

Second, keep in mind how much work you have put into it. As for me, I am working on a history book and I've devoted nearly two years on it, and I have literally just 70 pages written down of the actual book, but aside from that I have read about 200 history books from respected professors, contacted professors from Yale and other colleges, and hand-written nearly 700 pages of notes - fact after fact after fact. I've learned far more than I even anticipated of learning, however my motivation is: "Alright, I know how great all this work has been, but if I do not publish it, then all of it will die with me. If I do publish it though, all my work will be preserved"

Keep rereading your story

i have the same problem with what i write

but you need to stay on task and keep focus on your plot

after a chapter i always reread and if i dont like something ill change it [sometimes ill cross out 2-3 pages of writing]

if youre loosing interest in your story...try a few plot twists to liven it up a bit

if the author is loosing interest then so will the reader

but dont give up, keep trying because with practice comes experience

try relating the story to whomever will read it

imagine being the reader and trying to feel the story...if you cant..then you probably should make some changes

GOOD LUCK!

Sometimes you just need to take a break from writing when your stuck. I find that if I just turn on the television, watch a movie, or even listen to music, that I might become inspired. Sometimes watching another story can help you edit your own.

If you think your plot is running on empty don't be afraid to ask a close friend what they think. They might be able to point you in the right direction. Just don't be afraid to put the pen down and come back to it, it might take a day or two but you'll figure it out.

Forget plot-let your story tell itself. I have found that when I tried to write a story with a "plot" that was planned, I found that the natural flow and story changed as events unraveled on the page. And like you, I would start out strong, but then ran out of gas. However, when I let the story tell itself, I get lost in the story and I can't wait to pick up where I left off the previous session.

Try to write about what interests you so much u could never get board.Also,don't worry about ur mistakes all the time.If u want a second oponoin about something,ask someone like a friend or relative.If u get board with something in ur story,try to change it or add an interesting event.Hope I helped!Even if just a tiny,tiny bit.

Source(s): Me.I take a creative Writing class plus love writing.I also plan on becoming a writer as I become older.

Write about something you are really passionate about...something that has happened to you, could happen to you, something that would make your life perfect or something you would like to prevent from happening to you- just with fictional characters. That is the only way I can keep myself really motivated...if the story means something to me.

Also, the biggest problem for me is just making myself do it. I keep telling myself I'll finish my book "someday" and work on it "tomorrow"...but if I would have just made myself sit down and work on it I would have been done by now! Good luck.

Oh I have always had this problem! I got a lot of great hints and tips from reading On Writing by Stephen King...if you haven't read it, you might benefit from it.

Sometimes you just have to take a break and re-evaluate.

Lose yourself in it as you write. You shouldn't have to consciously struggle your way through it. Passages should come to you seemingly out of nowhere and you should only need to do any conscious thinking every few paragraphs.