Does the Sun wobble like the Earth? How much, how long?

• eri
    Favorite Answer

Yes, the Sun wobbles - two bodies, like the Sun and Jupiter, orbit a common center of mass; it's not just Jupiter orbiting and the Sun staying still. That slight wobble due to a planet is how we detect extrasolar planets around stars - the more massive the planet is, the larger the 'wobble' it will create for it's sun.

By wobble, I presume you mean precession of the poles. I would believe, if there is such a thing, it could be observed. The sun obviously rotates, as can be observed by watching sunspots. Now, with all of the satellites we've got out there watching the sun 24 hours a day, we can watch the atmosphere of the sun to great precision. So, if there is a wobble, it can be seen. But, I wonder how a wobble would have been created. The sun is a gaseous body, so any collisions should more or less just be absorbed. Yet, any force applied to a body cannot just disappear. So, a wobble could exist, but I doubt it would be big or easy to observe.

Wobble , um no idea . But the sun does have a reference axis of 0 plane. This is how all others planets axis are calculated to this reference. From memory earth is 23 deg to sun ref. i.e draw aline through our North & South poles with refernce to the suns reference .If you mean rotation then yes the sun does one full solar rotation every 28.345 days

I don't believe it does and even if it does I don't believe we would be able to notice. The sun doesn't have any distinct features on it that would allow us to just watch to see if it did wobble, it doesn't have reference points on it like our planet has continents or oceans, and other planets having features such as volcanoes, valleys, etc. All we can see are convection currents of the gasses rising and falling. So I would have to say that we would be unable to tell if it did.

I have never encountered any discussion of this. I doubt that any such wobble would be observable, because the sun is not a rigid body.

• Dr. R

It's center of mass orbits a point within its interior with a period of Jupiter's year due to the mass of the latter.