What is Parkinson's and also what is Palsy/?

Also what causes these diseases?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Palsy is partial or complete loss of motor function. And that's right, Parkinsons is a nerve disease. More specifically, a degeneration of nerves in the basal ganglia (part of the brain), occurring in later life and leading to tremors, weakness of muscles, and slowness of movement. This slowly progressive condition is caused by a deficiency of dopamine (a neurotransmitter) made by cells in the basal ganglia.

There are lots of things that can cause Palsy. Cerebral Palsy is caused by a loss of oxygen or blood flow to the cerebrum during gestation or the perinatal period.

Source(s): The Language of Medicine, 7th Edition, 2004
  • 1 decade ago

Parkinsons is a disorder that affects the nervous system. Micheal J Fox has parkinsons and so does Muhammid Ali. Palsy I really don't know. Parkinsons has a med to take that helps control symptoms but right now there is no cure.

• 1 decade ago

Parkinson's Disease is a disease that occurs usually later in life around late 60's or early 70's. It causes tremors that may be visible or you feel like your insides are shaking. It affects your motor skills eventually the results of Parkinson's is that you will lose muscle control be unable to walk, talk,and be almost a vegetable but you are fully aware of everything around you but are unable to communicate.

I believe you are referring to Cerebral Palsy which usually is related to lack of oxygen at birth and cause delays in gross motor skills. I believe that there are different levels of this disease and can also be cause by an infection to the brain.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.