Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

Is it normal to never want to get married?

For my entire life I have never desired to get married, be married, have children, or the white picket fence. I've always wanted a career. Is this normal, or am I some sort of freak. I want lovers, not husbands or fathers. I like being alone. I feel like I'm alone in this feeling.

So many people fault me for this. When I was 7 I knew I wanted to be a lawyer. I break out in hives when I hear the word marriage in reference to me. It's been the end to so many relationships. Whats so wrong with wanting to be alone???

Favorite Answer

You are a wise woman who has made a decision that brings her happiness. ... you did not go ahead and conform to society's social "standard" and you did not mess up your life, the life of a husband/father, or kids.... "Normal" is such a relative term... lol. I say, as long as you have committed to the relationship you have with your career...you are doing just fine! I applaud you for sticking to your own path and for knowing what it is you want from life. Yay YOU!!

I think it's normal. Marriage isn't for everyone, and I believe it's better to recognize that, rather than trying to force something you aren't into. I actually said from the time I was a little girl that I would never get married, and I ended up meeting someone and falling in love and now I'm married... So while there is always a chance you may change your mind, if you don't there is nothing wrong with you or your decision.

Sounds perfectly normal to me. I never wanted to get married, even as a child. I've always wanted children though, I tried a common law relationship for several years, and I have a beautiful daughter, and the experience of living with someone, and I know for sure now I never will get married. I'm happier not living with a husband.

I understand perfectly. Why bother marrying when there's freedom to be had? Like I say, the only time to settle down is when you're dead. I knew at 16 (I'm 17 now) that I desperately wanted to be an advertising executive, and reaching this goal would be made far easier without men. You sound exactly like my kind of woman. You get the Rio Madeira Seal of Approval!

I think you are normal. I'm a introvert so it feels right for me to be alone, even though I wanted marriage and children. I still feel totally fine alone. Some people really shouldn't be parents and have kids, and the kids suffer. If you know your limits, you should stay single and absolutely not have children.

Of course you are normal -- as normal as us who are juggling with husband, kids and a career. It's a matter of choice. If you like your life like that, hey, who's to object? Never marry for the sake of marrying. Only marry when you feel the need to. Just make sure your lovers know the score from day one.

as a 26 year old mother of two .I put my life andmy career on hold to stay home and raise my kids I never wanted to get married and am still not and just now going back to school . So all I got to say is do you and enjoy life.I tell my son ever day enjoy your life before you have kids or maybe you wont have any.

me too, i wanted to be a lawyer and nothing else. i said over and over that i would never get married and never have kids. i always felt like that. i still do, i just happen to have a kid now. i feel like ever since i met someone that actually made me want to get married and he took that away from me when he cheated on me. i feel like i was cheated out of life. i feel like i should have just stuck with my original plan and just been a lawyer, and i never would have had to go through all the **** that he put me through.

Not a thing wrong with you honey. More and more people are choosing this option.

Do stay open to change. But there is nothing wrong with yur choice. The problem arises in not knowing what you want or knowing and then allowing others' opinion to sway you into doing something you will regret.

Stick to your guns!

Ask all the married people and some will tell you how lucky you are.

There is nothing wrong with you and there are many who would love to be in your position.

One day you will meet someone who will blow your mind away and you will change your mind, but until then do what your doing.