How many credits in addition to a BA or BS degree does someone need to earn a MA or MS degree? How long does?

it take on average?

Favorite Answer

A masters program usually takes two years, though some are shorter and sometimes (especially if you can't go full-time) it'll take longer. The number of credits depends on the program and school.

My program was 33 credit hours. Nine hours (3 classes) was full-time enrollment. (and took at least as much prep time and often more than a full undergrad load) Twelve hours was a full load, but since everybody in my program worked (at least 20 hrs/wk, in some cases 40 or more) no one took 12 hrs. Everybody I know who has done a thesis needed more than two years to finish, generally a minimum of an additional summer or a full semester. Since most people work more hours or get better jobs once they are done with courses, for some people finishing a thesis takes years.

• Lola

I'm working on my MSN now and it is 65 credit hours long and will take me 3 years to complete. I think that's about average unless you go for an accelerated degree which would be 18 months long. I'm going online, too. I got my BS online in an accelerated program. I don't recommend them because the information is pushed at you so quickly you don't have time to learn anything.