Trying to install an HP printer- receive a message saying the system is shutting down. Help!?

My son has a new HP printer, which he wants to install on his Windows XP system. After connecting the USB cable (as prompted), the system begins detecting the printer device. At step 5/8 he receives a message saying that a Win32 error has occurred, and the system must shut down. Upon restart, everything he's done up to that point is uninstalled ( an uninstallation program comes up automatically).

Does anyone have any idea how we can get this printer installed, other than calling HP? (I'd like to get it done asap so my teenage son isn't morose and moping about).

Thanks for all the help!

Favorite Answer

sorry to burst your bubble but you most likely have a defective

disc or printer.this has happened to me and I ended up going back to place of purchase and they gave me a fresh install disc

and everything worked out ok.But something definitely is wrong here

I sincerely hope this helps

The safe way and usually the only way most computers except new hardware is: turn your computer off before connecting the printer. Then connect the printer. After you have connect turn the computer on. Go to start, then control, then add new hardware. Click add hardware find printers and fax machines. Click on that then locate your type of printer, then follow instructions from there. If you do not have a disk ask the computer to find it. With it being an hp it should either be listed in printers and faxes. If it isn't listed it will be easy for computer to locate.

A. Unplug the printer from the computer.

B. Insert the HP CD into the CD drive.

C. Restart computer.

D. Go to control panel/ printer and install wizard.

E. Follow directions, and plug the printer in after the HP CD is downloaded onto the hard drive. Keep playing with it. Just did it earlier, and had to fiddle with it too. Good luck.

I have two HPs and get good results from both.

How about going to HP and downloading the driver. When you are asked to "run" or "save," opt to save. Save the driver to the desktop and install it from there.

The programs usually tell us when to plug in or connect the printer. In any event, do not connect the printer to the computer

until after you have installed the driver.

Don't have to call HP - go here: (driver downloads on the left)

http://www.hp.com/

the 1st factor i could do, is carry out a gadget fix. it extremely is the main suitable way, after scans for malware coach adverse. it incredibly is going to easily provide help to choose regardless of if or no longer this is unquestionably a hardware issue, or a utility issue, collectively with an as much as date driving force, utility, etc. In domicile windows XP, click "commence" courses, upload-ons, gadget equipment, gadget fix! Then fix to an before checkpoint- Navigate your till now in time some days before you think of you have got observed the issue to ensue. it incredibly is going to take a quick time (approximately quarter-hour or so) let us know from right here what happens