Why is faith (belief without evidence) considered a virtue?

• eri
    Favorite Answer

I really have no idea. I think it's a great liability. If you believe in invisible sky daddies, what ELSE will you believe in with no proof? Cold fusion? Free energy? Psychics? Alternative medicine and fake cancer cures? Homopathy? Astrology?

I have depression. I go through periods of very low self-esteem, where I am convinced that I am pretty much next to worthless. For someone like me, and indeed for many people in tough positions, having faith that things will get better and that one is worth something, even if others don't think so, is not only harmless, it's helpful and productive. I have seen that faith can create a person whose beliefs have molded them into someone genuinely sweet and compassionate. Does that mean that everything we believe without evidence is good? Of course not. But faith can be powerful and helpful, maybe even necessary, to those who use it. I finished watching Gurren Lagann not too long ago. If you're not familiar with it, it's probably one of the most ridiculous mecha animes ever made, wherein the characters overcome all odds through nothing more than sheer belief in their power to do so (and maybe giant robots, but that's beside the point). It might not make a whole lot of sense, but it definitely reminds you that perseverance in the face of despair is always better than just giving up.

• A

that's a good question. People consider skeptics and people who never believe blindly, but ask questions instead to have some sort of character flaw. It isn't a character flaw, it is a virtue in and of it's self. It isn't the easiest thing in the world to go against the grain.

Faith is an entirely free gift that God makes to man. We can lose this priceless gift, as St. Paul indicated to St. Timothy: "Wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting conscience, certain persons have made shipwreck of their faith." To live, grow and persevere in the faith until the end we must nourish it with the word of God; we must beg the Lord to increase our faith; it must be "working through charity," abounding in hope, and rooted in the faith of the Church.

Faith is the theological virtue by which we believe in God and believe all that he has said and revealed to us, and that Holy Church proposes for our belief, because he is truth itself. By faith "man freely commits his entire self to God." For this reason the believer seeks to know and do God's will. "The righteous shall live by faith." Living faith "work[s] through charity."

SoL, I like your style, keep seeking :-)

1 Cor chapter 2 vs 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

And who thinks that? Religious people. I do not think it is a virtue.

u kno that u cant fly if u jump off a building. yet you've never tried it. that's faith. and i suppose its in the eye of the beholder as to whether or not its a virtue.

Mark Twain once said, "Faith is believing what you know ain't so."

Because then it's known that you aren't threatening.

Because the fundies said so. DIE INFIDEL!!! BANGBANGBANG! YOU DEAD NOW!! HAHAHA!