Is there any kind of hearing loss that is caused by something that can be reversed by surgery?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Reversing hearing loss by surgery depends on what caused the hearing loss in the first place. Born deaf, illness, accident. and hat part of the ear is effected. All deafness is either sensorineural or conductive.

There are some types of hearing loss that surgery can fix. but it depends on what part of the ear is causing the deafness I have perforated ear drums due to childhood illness and I had surgery on one ear to repair the hole, they took skin from my neck and grafted it over the hole, They also removed bone from my ear canal (don't remember why they did that though???). In my case it did not work completely and I now have 30% of my ear drum missing instead of 60% I still have trouble hearing but it has improved. Conductive deafness due to otosclerosis can also be repaired by surgery, and treatment of some types of sensorineural deafness can be helped by the implantation of a cochlear implant. Conductive deafness in children caused by glue ear is also treated by surgery to drain the build up of fluid.

Source(s): physicians medical reference guide

Some types of hearing loss can be helped by surgery or by cochlear implants. See an audiologist now so that you have a better chance of reversing the problem before it gets worse. There are so many beautiful sounds in our world that you don't want to take the chance of missing the opportunity to enjoy them.

WHAT?? ha ha yes there are multiple surgeries available depending on your condition. Ive heard-no pun intended-from folks that theyve even had one of the small bones in our ears replaced with man made replica. Did you have trauma to your ear? Have you gone to a dr?

MUCHO IMPORTANTE- if your a HMO pt and your not getting any answers or not getting approved to see any specialist dont just say ok-OH NO you call every day to your PCP and eventually he'll get so sick of you youll actually get the care you deserve. I work in a dr office for 25 yrs now and it works.