Bobcat9 asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Why am I breaking out? I love chocolate and have been eating them everyday.?

Am I breaking out because my body is consuming too much chocolate? Before eating chocolate start of the holiday .. my face has been clear and nice. Eversince I started eating chocolate .. my face has been breaking out. Please explain.

Favorite Answer

It has nothing to do with the chocolate. It has to do with your skin. Have you been stressed lately? Stress will produce extra amounts of sebum (oil) in your skin.

It is important to know what your skin type is. If you don't know, take a little test. Dry skin is usually fairly obvious, as is oily skin, but try this: Wash your face. Put nothing on it. Wait half an hour, then blot your face with tissue paper, a paper bag, or a facial blotting paper. If you pick up oil all over your face you are prone to oily skin. If you pick up oil mainly on your forehead and chin you have combination skin. If you see no oil you probably have normal skin. If you have dry patches on your face, yep - that's dry skin.

Once you know what yor skin type is you should only buy facial products that are formulated for your skin type. That means cleansers, toners, moisturizers, and cosmetics. I have combination skin. All of the skin care poducts and cosmetics I buy must be oil-free or I will break out. I buy only products that are made for combination or oily skin, and are oil-free.

Proper skin care is also very important. In order to keep your pores clear you should exfoliate at least twice a week. If you wear make-up, use a cleanser that removes make-up and not just dirt. Moisturizer is essential no matter what type of skin you have. If skin is not properly moisturized it will produce too much sebum. Too much sebum clogs pores, makes skin oily, and ultimately creates blemishes.

So, cleanse and moisturize at least twice a day with products made for your skin. Exfoliate at least twice a week with a mild exfoliant, and don't rub too hard. Wear cosmetics that agree with your skin type.

It's an old wives tale with some degree of truth. Excessive amounts of chocolate cause some people to break out (including my grandmother, which is why she claims a chocolate allergy to this day). According to doctors, there are substances in chocolate that trigger rosacea in adults, but teen acne is caused by hormonal changes that make the oil glands produce excess oils.

If you're sure that your monthly cycle is not the issue, try cutting back on the chocolate and using a facial scrub for oily skin. There are plenty of other sweets you can eat that aren't chocolate.

The chocolate didn't cause the pimples. Food doesn't cause them. It's a myth.

It's probably just stress.

Just remember to try and stay relaxed and wash your face atleast twice a day.

I break out when I rest my face on my hand. Could be the oils from your palm if you sit like that when listening to a conversation. Put your face on the top of your fist instead, way less oiley.

Stress, the weather, maybe you're not washing your face on a daily it gets oily. But its not the chocolate.

Ive read that its only a myth that chocolate makes you break out. Maybe you're pms-ing. Sorry i guess i wasnt much help

actually scientifically the choclate doesnt give you pimples but if you worry that if you eat more chclate you will get pimples then you will get more pimples!!!!

good luck!!!=]