who is the original singer of life is a highway?

Favorite Answer

"Life Is a Highway" is a song written by Tom Cochrane, from his 1991 album Mad Mad World. The song was Cochrane's most famous song, as it was a number one hit in his native Canada, and was ubiquitous on Canadian radio in 1991. The song also peaked at number six on the Billboard charts in the United States in 1992.

In the 1990's Cochrane took his family to West Africa where he helped to raise awareness and money for the World Vision famine relief organization. That experience shaped his next album Mad Mad World which contained "Life Is a Highway".

The song was Cochrane's only Top 40 hit in the United States although he continued to have significant hits in Canada.

In 1998, Chris LeDoux released "Life Is a Highway" on the album One Road Man. Changes include the timing of vocal entrances on the chorus, and location names between the first and second chorus. This version also appears on LeDoux's 20 Greatest Hits, released June, 1999.

The song was brought back into prominence when it was the first song performed at Live 8 Barrie July 2, 2005.

************************************

[edit] Rascal Flatts version

In 2006, American country music band Rascal Flatts remade this song for the Disney/Pixar animated film Cars. The movie was released on June 9, 2006. The song sold a large quantity of digital downloads, leading to a top ten peak on the Hot 100.

The Rascal Flatts version subsequently became a country radio hit, and entered Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart in August 2006. It became the new theme song for Airos Adventures and can also be heard in most episodes.

**************************************************

Life's like a road that you travel on

When there's one day here and the next day gone

Sometimes you bend, sometimes you stand

Sometimes you turn your back to the wind

There's a world outside every darkened door

Where blues won't haunt you anymore

Where the brave are free and lovers soar

Come ride with me to the distant shore

We won't hesitate, break down the garden gate

There's not much time left today

Chorus:

Life is a highway

I want to ride it all night long

If you're going my way

I want to drive it all night long

Through all these cities and all these towns

It's in my blood and it's all around

I love you know like I loved you then

This is the road and these are the hands

>From Mozambique to those Memphis nights

The Khyber Pass to Vancouver's lights

Knock me down get back up again

You're in my blood I'm not a lonely man

There's no load I can't hold

Road so rough, this I know

I'll be there when the light comes in

Tell 'em we're survivors

(chorus x2)

There was a distance between you and I

A misunderstanding once but now

We look it in the eye

There's no load I can't hold

Road so rough this I know

I'll be there wehn the light comes in

Tell 'em we're survivors

(chorus x3)

Source(s): wikipedia

Tom Cochrane wrote the song for his 1991 album Mad Mad World.

In 1998 Chris LeDoux released "Life Is a Highway" on his album One Road Man.

In 2006 Rascal Flatts remade this song for the Disney/Pixar animated film Cars.

:]