Alex N asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

When do chickens lay eggs?

Favorite Answer

I have two pet chickens and I can tell you they are pretty erratic. They are about three years old and a year ago they were doing pretty good, but when there is no rooster around one of the hens will adopt the role of the rooster and stop laying. But, under ideal conditions, hens will lay an egg once every 26 hours. My girls had days when they were pretty regular. If one of them laid an egg at noon on one day you could pretty much bet the next one would be at 2PM the following day. Since then they've gone haywire and one of them has not laid an egg in several months, and the other one gave one just a couple of days ago. You have to be quick, as they tend to break them open and eat them.

The egg laying season is determined by hours of sunlight, so in the winter when days are shorter they tend to go off production.

Source(s): From the Kokpelli "How to Get Along in Life Handbook" This answer is a finely tuned, precision instrument machined to tolerances of +/- .001" and was carefully handcrafted from the highest quality materials. No animals or plants were harmed in the answering of this question. Any similarity with any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental and unintended. "What do you mean WE, White Man?" - Tonto

A chicken can begin laying eggs between 18-20 weeks of age. A healthy chicken can lay one egg per day.

• Lola

They lay eggs when they are about 6 months old, maybe a bit older, but right around there.

Source(s): Had pet chickens
  • maamu

Daily (if I remember correctly)

My great grandma went to the hen house every day to gather the eggs.

Fresh eggs have chicken poop on them, EEEWWW

M

usually early in the morning right after daylight comes although some lay in the afternoon.

Source(s): ive had chickens all my life

Usually in the morning.

Before they cross the road.

to make little chickens and for me to eat!

When they forget the number for take-out.

when their wattles become red...