Do you need a passport to drive into canada? Or can you just your birth certificate?

Favorite Answer

To get into canada you dont need a passport. To get back into the US, you will need a passport based on new federal rules that are just going into effect.

• Cariad

If you drive to Canada you need picture and ID and your birth certificate. (proof of citizenship and government issued proof of identity) You can use a passport, if you have one, but it is not required for land travel right now.

Currently, for land and sea, you do not need a passport to come into Canada or go back into the USA. That will change January 2008 at the earliest. (some say later than that)

As of January 23, 2007, you need a passport to go to the USA by AIR. (or return back if you are from the USA) That is why people get confused...depends on how you are travelling,

Have a safe trip!

You first have to say when you are planning to drive into Canada.As the laws have now changed . Just like first canadians use to be able to drive into the USA without a passport just a drivers license and not anymore ...so is it also changing in Canada! We are not a free for all either !!! Their are certain dates in 2007 and 2008 that take into effect , but the info is their on both the american and canadian embassy websites

I checked a few days ago, mainly to find out if I can get back into US. As of 1/1/07 need passport only if by air or by sea. By land do not need passport until 2008...all this to get back in. Getting into Canada is easier. Depending on your timing, it's time to get a passport then...no worries.

Here is the govt. site for US passport information:

http://travel.state.gov/

• Sheila

I do not think you need a passport. We went to Niagara Falls a few years ago and we all used birth certificates and my husband and I also presented our drivers license.

• t

Right now only a photo id and birth cert. however pretty soon you will need a passport or a frequent border crossing id issued by the government and its really to get BACK in the US

Source(s): live in a border town

Your birth certificate will do when driving into Canada....

photo ID and birth certificate is all you need

government issued photo id is required, and you can use your birth certificate or sin card

I went there a long time ago, just drove right in,BUT, when I came back it was a hassell, they checked ID, searched my car and asked a whole lot of questions.