Do Jewish people find it offensive when they are reffered to as "jews" ?

I dont want to sound ignorant, but i hear different things all the time and i dont know what to believe.

Thanks!

• yotg
    Favorite Answer

Not at all! "Jew" is the right and proper term.

The word Jew comes from the Hebrew word Yehudi, means "of Judah's", and it's used as a noun: I am a Jew.

As you obviously know, many people do not like us, Jews, very much, so this innocent word- our name- has become a slur.

In this era of political correctness, some people avoid from using this term because of its negative association. Well, to these people I thank for their effort, but I refuse to accept the idea that there's something wrong with my name.

You have my permission, as a proud Jew, to use this term.

Unacceptable uses of the term: Jew is a noun. Jewish is an adjective ("I'm a Jewish guy"). Using "Jew" as an adjective ("a Jew lawyer") is considered an ethnic slur and a grammatical mistake. Using "Jew" as a verb ("to Jew someone") is an ethnic slur.

Source(s): a Jew!

As a Jewish person, I can say it depends on the context. I prefer to be called Jewish, not a "Jew." Usually when people say "Jews" it's not in a nice way.

To be safe say Jewish, To just say Jew someimes sounds like your thinking something negative.

It's tonal and subjective, but it could make you sound racist.

there was this girl i knew from indonesia who kept referring to someone we were talking about as "the jew." She really didn't mean anything but it did sound pejorative the way she said it.

I get offended and I'm mexican!!!

I just don't like that word, it sounds harsh.

I mean seriously why can't you just say the whole word JEWISH!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would jews be offended?

Nope nope.

No not at all My father taught me its not what you say BUT HOW YOU SAY IT

Source(s): i AM jEWISH