What is the gold crap in a bottle of Goldschlager?

We are having a party and this has come into our conversation. My sister swears its real gold. She's nuts.

Favorite Answer

It is, in fact, real gold. Tiny bits of gold leaf or gold "paper," not free, but not nearly as valuable as you might think. Despite rumors and urban legends to the contrary, its purpose is simply to look pretty and match the name of the product, it does not cause the alcohol to be absorbed more quickly into the system or have any other additional effect.

Your sister may be nuts, but not about the gold flakes in Goldschlager. It is indeed edible gold leaf.

http://www.bevmax.com/main.asp?request=PRODUCERPAG...

Gold. Gold "paper". thats why it is called Goldschlager. I know, I used to own a liquor store!

She's right. Its what knows as gold leaf. Its real gold.

it's gold alright.

I heard somewhere that it's purpose is to get the alcohol into your system faster: the gold flakes makes tiny cuts in your throat when you swallow them, and the alcohol is absorbed through the scratches. Don't know if it's true or not, though.

• behr28

No - you are nuts. It is real gold.

She's right...it's gold!

• shabo

it's real