Mysterious splinters, pulled out but skin is red and burns to touch.?

Anybody know what in the world this is? I woke up this morning, and noticed that the skin in one spot of my leg was sore to the touch. When I pulled up the pajama leg, I saw what looked like 3 tiny splinters, which I pulled out and threw away, thinking that would be the end of it.

But the area was still sore to the touch. VERY SORE!! The warm bath water made it hurt even more!!

I tried using a cortisone ointment-- then I tried triple antibiotic oitnemtn with a bandage over it, and both seemed to help, but it still has not gone away!

Twelve hours later, I can see three red spots and it is still very sore! Any ideas about what it might be?

Well, I haven't been out in the woods, and we live in a state where there are no scorpions or anything like that. It's winter time and there aren't even any sticker bushes nearby, the bugs outside are all dead & we don't have bugs in our house.

It makes no sense at all.

Favorite Answer

Could be an insect bite or contact with wood that had creosote on it. Creosote is a poison they used to put on telephone poles so they wouldn't rot.

See a physician to make sure it's nothing serious. Meanwhile keep the area clean and covered. Try not to scratch it.

• tas211

I would see a doctor. It could be stings from some sort of bugs or spiders or, if they really are splinters, there are some woods that are treated with Chemicals to keep them from rotting. Or they could have been very dirty or there might be still little pieces in there. There are also some trees that are poisonous. At any rate, it sounds serious and you should see a doctor.

• Rita

Sounds really scary to me. Could it possibly be a spider bite? If it isn't better in the morning, you really need to visit the ER. I have had some nasty splinters before, but it didn't take 12 hours for the area to stop hurting after I extracted the splinter. I really hope it's nothing but a little infection and you will be healed by tomorrow, but if not, head for a doctor!!

Bug bite? If they stay red, or the redness starts streaking up your leg, go to a dr.

some kind of stingers?? scorpion?? Andean love darts??