promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

whats a falafel??

I have always wanted to know what a falafel is so who ever is out there PLEASE tell me!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Wikipedia: Falafel

It is a highly popular form of fast food in the Arab East and Israel, and is also served as a ... Falafel is very common in Greater Syria and it is the ...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Falafel is a fried ball or patty of spiced field beans or chickpeas, dating back to Biblical times and originating somewhere on the Indian subcontinent. Falafel is today eaten in India as well as in Pakistan and the Middle East. It is traditionally served with a yoghurt sauce, as a sandwich in pita bread, or as an appetizer.

Though its origin is uncertain, it is believed by some that it originally came from India, where it was made with spiced soured bread. The word "falafel" comes from the Arabic word فلفل (filfil), meaning pepper, and probably ultimately from Sanskrit pippalī. Falafel (at least the Middle Eastern style) is made from field beans, chick peas or any combination of the two. The Egyptian variation exclusively uses field beans, while other variations may exclusively use chick peas. What makes falafel different from many other bean patties is the beans are not cooked prior to use. Instead they are soaked, possibly skinned, then ground with other ingredients and deep fried.

Recent culinary trends have seen the triumph of the chickpea falafel over the field bean falafel. Chickpea falafels are served across the Middle East, and popularized by expatriates of those countries living abroad.

In Israel, falafel (along with the hummus) is sometimes referred to as "Israel's National Snack" (though some people claim it does not actually originate in Israel).

Falafel (Arabic: فلافل or طعمية; Hebrew: פלאפל)

• 4 years ago

Falafel (/fəˈlɑːfəl/; Arabic: فلافل‎, [falaːfɪlʲl] ( listen)) is a deep-fried ball or patty made from ground chickpeas, fava beans, or both. Falafel is usually served in a pita, which acts as a pocket, or wrapped in a flatbread known as lafa. The falafel balls are topped with salads, pickled vegetables, hot sauce, and drizzled with tahini-based sauces. Falafel balls may also be eaten alone as a snack or served as part of a meze. it can be very tasty if made correctly

• 1 decade ago

Falafel (Arabic: فلافل‎ falaafil (help·info), Hebrew: פלאפל falafel, also known in Egypt and Sudan as طعمية ta`amiyya), is a fried ball or patty made from spiced fava beans and/or chickpeas. It is a highly popular form of fast food in the Arab East and Israel, and is also served as a mezze or snack. Falafel is very common in Greater Syria and it is the most popular daily food in Syria. The word "falafel" is the plural of the Arabic word فلفل (filfil), meaning pepper.[1]

Falafel is usually served in a pita bread wrap (i.e. sandwich), and the term "falafel" commonly refers to this sandwich by synecdoche; falafel in a pita is typical street food or fast food. Along with the falafel balls, which may be crushed onto the bread or added whole, various toppings are usually included. Falafel balls may also be eaten alone as a snack or served as part of a mezze. During Ramadan they are sometimes eaten as part of an iftar, the meal which breaks the daily fast after sunset.

Despite initial reluctance by both Arabs and Israelis, falafel is now seen as a uniting, pan-Middle-Eastern dish due to the inherently different cultures and cuisines of the two areas. In recent years, immigration from the Middle East to Western countries has brought with it a broader availability of Arab and Middle Eastern cuisine, and the falafel sandwich has become a popular and iconic food within alternative fast food or slow food movements, and indeed has spread world-wide.

They are also used as a "vegetarian" alternative filler to a Doner kebab in many countries.

Source(s): wikipedia
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Falafel is soooo good. It is ground up chickpeas (otherwise known as garbonzo beans) and spices. It is usually fried up in olive oil.

• 1 decade ago

My great grandmother Anzulew Murgewya used to make these back in the 50's. they have a hint of horseradish and a possible pinch of nutmeg. I myself, had a problem keeping them down, they are very strong the way i had then and i dont recommend them if you have a weak stomach. If you need to know how to make them go to : www.ilovetomakefalafels.com

• 1 decade ago

I just had this at the Aladdin Spice Market Buffet in Vegas. I thought it was terrible. And I like chickpeas and hummus. I don't know, maybe it was the sauce they had for it. But I did not like at all.

• 1 decade ago

it's kind of like a hummus fritter or hush puppie. Hummus is mashed garbanzo, also known as chickpea. Look it up on a recipe site

• 1 decade ago

Its an Egyptian food made of different mix of beans, onion, spices, and others, made in the shape of cookies and casted in oil . .

Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Did you spell the word right? is it a english word?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.