Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Why are so many people scared of people that have an eating disorder??

K i'm bulimic and have been for a while. (but that's not the point) Whenever i tell people that i suffer from bulimia it's like the are scared of me. Why??

(by the way i'm getting help for my bulimia)

Favorite Answer

A lot of people are scared by what they don't understand. Unless they've had a disorder themselves, they don't really "get" it. Also, they're probably just more uncomfortable than scared. It's hard to know what to say when someone tells you something like that and they're afraid of saying the wrong thing.

There's not a good answer for that, but the best I can come up is that people don't really know how to react to eating disorders, or really any psychological illness. I think that we feel caught between blaming the person suffering from it and thinking of it as voluntary behavior (I mean, how hard is it not to vomit? :-p) and thinking of it as a disease like pneumonia or heart disease or cancer (which is more along the lines of how psychiatric illnesses are viewed by the medical community, and eating disorders in particular are considered to be especially dangerous, there are those who actually starve themselves to death).

So when people hear that you (or anyone else really) have an eating disorder, they don't know how to react to it, and it makes them uncomfortable, which is why they act so strange about the whole thing.

That's my $0.02 anyway, I'm not a psychiatrist.

i dont think its nice how people treat other people when they have disorders. i read this book called ''perfect'' and it really helped me understand what might be going through their minds. tell any one who isnt nice to you cuz of your disorder then tell them to read the book. they wouldnt want some one being afraid to come around them when they develope a disorder. keep on trying to convince people that u r a normal human. give your friends a test on how well they would make as a friend. ( do they like the person for who they are?, do they have that persons back?, etc) i hope this helps you

generally, the unknown scares people. Most people are not FULLY educated about bulimia and they probably don't know your specific situation. It's not you they are scared of, just hte unknown, but you are the only physical objest they can see, so you are what they focus their attention on.

I think they're just scared and don't know what to say, so they just react by being afraid. They wish they could do more, but don't know what to say or do, so they don't do anything. I know it tough. Good luck with your recovery. I have suffered from it for 4 years and i know what it's like. GOod luck and don't let those people get you down!

• Ro'

people are scared of anything involving a psychiatrist... I have bipolar and usually people are scared of me too. But I dump them asap because I don't like presumptive judgments.

If they don't like you (or me), it's their right not to. If they are afraid of bulimia (or bipolar) *they* are the problem ;)

Stay strong and congrats on taking care of it!

• Molly

Because they are worried about your health, and mental heath in general. This is a huge sigma for family, friends, and your community to deal with. It's not that they are scared, but that they are all concerned about you and your self destructive behavior. Please visit this site and try to get some help. Good luck!

Source(s): www.renfrew.org

It's not that they are scared of you. They just don't understand the situation and don't know how to react. That's great you are getting treatment, I hope you continue to get better. Take care : )

i was once anorexic I didn't know people were scared of those with eating disorders maybe they're afraid they'll catch it uh?

Good luck

I overcame my eating disorder it was difficult but i did it

people are scared of the unknown.good luck...hope you get better and dont worry about those people.