Why do I still have black bars on a widescreen dvd with a 16:9 aspect TV?

I realize some widescreen dvds are animorphic but even on 16:9 dvds I have black bars.

Favorite Answer

Well, you've got almost 100 years of movies, and during the 40's and 50's there was a great experiment to TEST various aspect ratios for various movie theaters....

So 14:10, 15: 12, 16:10 were created...Panawide too....and then PanaVision....

Then they added 35mm, and finally 70mm to the heap.....

Movies have too many VARIOUS formats to properly fit the STANDARD 16:9 that the TV Networks decided on....but the good thing is that all NEW shows are shot with 16:9 cameras....

The bad news is they still have their old 4:3 cameras running....and they still have those ARTSY-FARTSY Producers that still like to ADD shadowboxes just because it "Looks Spectacular!!" "Ooooooh we'll win a Grammy for this!"

Ever notice you can watch ONE TV SHOW, and the damn picture shifts formats throughout the show?!

I hate that.....

Source(s): 24 years servicing TV sets....and having to explain to various customers why this happens....

The reason you still get the black bars on your widescreen TV is because (and yes Slim, you simpleton, it is possible) movies are shot in a ratio wider than 16:9.

As the second answer said, you can change the aspect ratio on the TV or DVD player "zoom" the picture so that it will take out the black bars.

I bought a widescreen tv not too long ago and figured it out.

But to answer your question, make sure your TV itself it set to 16:9 mode. Also make sure that your dvd player is set to "widescreen" mode. That should do it.

I say go with what person 2 said!!!!!!!!\

so sorry i dont no just getting points

it is impossible...you have a full screen DVD.