I do not celebrate halloween. Why do people say happy halloween to me in October without apology?

On the other hand, they have to ask for my permission whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday to me in December. What is in Christmas that generates so much opposition to the usual greeting of Merry Christmas which I grew up to love?

Favorite Answer

People have to ask you for permission on how to greet you? Who are you? God?

Asking for permission before greeting Merry Christmas?

Apologising for wishing Halloween?

I never thought about that!!

I just accept the well wishes from whoever it comes from.

By the way, in my country Chritmas is celebrated by all religions (to a lesser degree by Muslims). I wish my muslim friends Merry Christmas and they never feel offended. I do not know from which country you are from but when you live in a secular country, you do not feel the way you do.

I will assume you are refering to the A.C.L.U.'s fight against having a public Christian Holyday (let's get back to the real spelling) publicly recognized. A lot of people are confused about our Constitutional separation of Church & State. The original item was put into our law because England had an official state church and if you didn't want to belong to it, you were breaking the law. Since that time, there have been so many kinks put in the old Constitution that the founding father's wouldn't recognize it. I am non-religious, so I don't mind what kind of celebration other people want to have. I'll smile and wish them a Happy Whatever.

Halloween is kind of a semi-religious deal. It started as "All Saint's Eve" (Holy Evening) when dead Saints and others are honored. In Mexico they have a charming and quaint Day of the Dead when they go to the cemetery and clean up and decorate the graves of their family. The kid's get candy skulls to munch. As with all the holydays celebrated by Christians, Halloween has been bastardized into an opportunity to sell lots of usless costumes and food. Like Mardi Gras, celebrate by doing all the forbidden stuff and then spend Lent praying for forgiveness. Bah! Humbug!

people are just being nice on you. even if you are not celebrating it, the whole world is and it really doesn't make any difference at all if you don't like the greeting. It's just Halloween, dear.

christmas is a different thing. people are more cautious about the greeting because not all people are Christians.

None of us know that you do not celebrate Halloween. If something offends you, you have to tell them or else they will never know.

It is just a secular holiday, so get over it.

Because Halloween is an original holiday,

Xmas, like EVERY other christian holiday was stolen from pagan religions.

Understand now?

and a Blessed Samhain

quit being so freakin sensitive you are nobody special and i dont think you walk around with a crown on your head!