How do I quit smoking?

We have read the Alan Carr book and still no success. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• A
    Favorite Answer

Will power is the best and most effective way of quiting smoking.

I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 30 years when I responded to a mail solicitation from a NY Psychology group that said it treated smoking like any other addiction. Here is what they did:

1. Write down the 5 most enjoyable cigarettes of the day. Is it with a cup of coffee or a cocktail? Whatever it is track it for a week. When you quit, give up those things that are most enjoyable with a smoke. This means no cocktails or coffee or whatever until you are convinced you are no longer hooked on nicotine.

2. Get a Dr. to prescribe an anti-depressant. Why, because smoking has an effect on your brain and when the nicotine stops, you get depressed. The depression caused by nicotine cessation is one of the reasons so many of us fail to quit smoking. As well, an anti-depressant will help you control weight so that you don't balloon. I took a very small doss of Prosac for about 4 months.

3. Pick a date when you are going to quit. On the day before you will quit "hot", meaning you will smoke as many cigarettes as you can.The next day, your quit day, you will feel awful and the thought of another smoke will be a turn-off.

4. Get more exercise. I joined the local Y and started an exercise regiment as exercise helps you rid yourself of the "demons" that drive us to smoke.

The first few day days are the worst, it felt like I was having an out of body experience so that my voice seemed to be coming from another part of the room. The anti-depressant take a few days to kick in and getting use to the drug was not easy. At first I felt like I was flat lined into a catatonic state but I am particularly drug sensitive and that may not be a typical drug reaction. Thereafter, I was fine and my urge to smoke was gone in a month.

I had quit smoking before without success. Following the above regimen helped me stay smoke free and after 11 years of being smoke free I enjoy excellent health and have lots more money, what could be better?

Hi,

I really empathise with you, I quit my 20 a day habit in a pain-free way this time last year!

No stress, no cravings, no weight gain, no pills, patches or gums.

The program I followed was recommended by a friend and now boasts a 90% success rate and is 100% fully guaranteed - can't say fairer than that

All the best..

Wish I could answer this question! Wish I'd never seen a cigarette! Some of these people that try to truly be @$$ holes are Not impressing nobody with the exception of maybe themselves. Right? Anyway Good Luck and by chance if you get some good advice email me : hmbaib@yahoo.com

PLEASE!

Go on some sites, or the best is to see a nurse, or a doctor. As well you can go to a pharmacy which they have those patch to help quiting. Good luck.

• It takes only 1 step...YOU!!!!!

You have to want to quit. I smoked 2 packs a day for over 35 years..then one day walking thru the park ..I said.."good day to quit smoking"...Remember..YOU!!!! have to want to quit.

pray and ask God to help you to quit. and take the desire for you because he is the only one that can help you on tomorrow turn down you plate and fast and pray and have a determination to quit

well i ur from aus...just call da quit help line...u get a free booklet nd u can call em up 4 free..nd tey will help u

pray to God for help and believe in yourself that u can.

remember: you CAN if you THINK U CAN