Mike C asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

What is the song "Sugar" by System of a Down about?

I would really like to know

Favorite Answer

One interpretation of the song that I have heard is as follows:

If you consider the time period in which the song was written and the location that the band was at, Early 90's and Los Angeles, the song is potentially dealing with the AIDS virus.

In the early 90's, the Kembucha (or however that's spelled, sorry) fungus (mushroom) was being used experimentally as a remedy for the AIDS epidemic running rampant in California. Infected people would line up to receive the drug.

Kembucha mushroom people, Sitting around all day...

Let your mother pray.

• Gail

Again, great question. MQ1: Kill em All is the best album from the list, even though I loved Show No Mercy too. MQ2: In this round I like Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? The album name is my favourite for a start, and the songs in the album. The guitar solos in "Devil's Island" and "Good Mourning/Black Friday" are amazing. MQ3: Aww this is hard! I'd say a tie between Reign in Blood and Master of Puppets. I own both albums and love both. In fact, both albums are my favourite albums from Slayer and Metallica respectively. I like them because the guitar solos are just freakin' BADASS and the way the songs are written and performed...just plain LEGENDARY. MQ4: Rust in Peace MQ5: Seasons in the Abyss, because my favourite Slayer song "Dead Skin Mask" is on it! BQ: My favourite band out of the big 4 is probably Slayer. Kerry King and Jeff Hannemann are both amazing guitarists and have produced near impossible solos that I can never forget in a lifetime. On the other hand, Metallica is the first band out of the 4 I've gotten into, and Megadeth has the most influential albums. BQ3: World Painted Blood - pretty good, although not as good as Slayer's older albums. Death Magnetic - MUCH better than St Anger Endgame - some good solos but I thought the songs were a bit repetitive. We've Come for You All - haven't listened to it yet. BQ4: errr...kinda I guess. they're the least famous out of the 4 BBBQ: yes you really do! BBBBQ: Slayer - Reign in Blood, Metallica - a tie between Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, Megadeath - Peace Sells, Anthrax - Among the Living

• let me start by saying shoogah!

in an interview, Daron said its about tea, and how people like sugar in their tea. of course, he was not going to give a good answer, because system wants their music open to interpretation. To this day, sugar is the only system of a down song i do not understand.....seriously.

IN THE VIDEO YOU SEE the words 'Aspartame Kills!' Aspartame is actually a sugar substitute found in carbonated drinks which has been found to cause homicidal tendencies. so the name of the song comes from that and shows how excessive consumerism leads to destruction

I think it's about war. Those incapacitated by using kombucha mushroom herbal drugs are compared to people who go to war (wearing helmets that make their heads look like mushrooms, as in the video), not really knowing what they're doing - not being there all the time. The soldiers play russian roulette, though they are not holding the guns - they risk their lives daily. The experience maddens them, and they later lock themselves in their rooms, just like drug users. ..

Sugar

The kombucha mushroom people,

Sitting around all day,

Who can believe you,

Who can believe you,

Let your mother pray, (sugar)

Well I'm not there all the time you know

Some people, some people, some people,

Call it insane, yeah they call it insane, (sugar)

I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport,

With a bullet called life, yeah called life,(sugar)

You know that every time I try to go

Where I really want to be,

It's already where I am,

Cause I'm already there….(sugar)

The kombucha mushroom people,

Sitting around all day,

Who can believe you,

Who can believe you,

Let your mother pray, (sugar)

I got a gun the other day from Sako,

It's cute, small, fits right in my pocket,

Yeah, right in my pocket, (sugar)

My girl, you know,

she lashes out every sometimes,

And I just ******* kick her,

and then ooh baby, she's O.K. (sugar)

People are always chasing me down,

Trying to push my face to the ground,

Where all they really want to do,

Is suck out my mother ******* brains, my brains (sugar).

The kombucha mushroom people,

Sitting around all day,

Who can believe you,

Who can believe you,

Let your mother pray~,

I sit, in my desolate room, no lights, no music,

Just anger, I've killed everyone,

I'm away forever, but I'm feeling better,

How do I feel, What do I say,

**** you, it all goes away,

How do I feel, What do I say,

**** you, it all goes away,

How do I feel, What do I say,

In the end it all goes away,

How do I feel, What do I say,

In the end it all goes away,

How do I feel, What do I say,

In the end it all goes away,

How do I feel, What do I say,

In the end it all goes away,

How do I feel, What do I say,

In the end it all goes away,

How do I feel, What do I say,

In the end it all goes away,

In the end it all goes away,

In the end it all goes away,

In the end it all goes away,

In the end it all goes away.

I found a bunch of different answers. Check out songmeanings.net. It has a bunch of different people tell what they think each song is about.

I have seen this song performed live......and i still don't know what it's about..but alot of their songs have political messages undertones.

Read the Lyric it's about life and what happends in life. In the end it all goes away, your dead when it all goes away. Life is gone.

Read;

What is Kombucha:

http://www.kombuchatea.co.uk/what-is-kombucha.asp

I LOVE THAT SONG! lol

Who really knows what it's about?

I interpreted it as possibly being about cocaine, but that's just me...