Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysOther - Holidays · 1 decade ago

Black eyed peas???

If I remember correctly, tradition says that you should eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck. Someone also told me that you should put a penny or dime into the peas and whoever gets the money will have the best luck all year long. Anyone else heard of this??? If so, what is it -- a dime or penny?

Favorite Answer

i have and its supposed to be a dime...although i think its a choking hazard...lol

Source(s): i do it every year out of superstion

Don't eat them.

Southerners MIght well have survived eating black-eyed peas in the wake of Civil War crop burnings.

The idea of having them at New Years was a hoax made up by a Texas grower in order to boost sales of Black eyed peas. It seems many people STILL considered them mainly as an animal chow, and he was eager to get humans eating them.

People who wouldn't look twice at a horoscope take this superstition seriously.

People who Don't believe in ghosts or UFO aliens beilieve in this junk.

Peas and beans are the two legumes. they're very close cousins. The black-eyed pea isn't somewhat a pea, even inspite of the shown fact that it somewhat is a minor difference. some forms of beans have pea interior the call. there is even a "pea bean"

• mo

I've heard of pork and kraut, and pigs in a blanket. But, you are only the 2nd person I've heard say anything about black eyed peas. Thanks, it will give me something to read up on. Have a Happy New Year.

With inflation being what it is now I would guess a quarter. And you are supposed to eat ham hocks with those black eyed peas.

black eye peas and cabbage too ! For luck and money. I steam the cabbage sprinkle it with some Mrs. Dash, to make it healthy, then I smother it in butter !

• Sean

I dont know about the money thing. Seems alittle dangerous. But my peas are cooki as we speak

I thought you only put a penny on someone's eyelids when they die? I've never heard of the one that you said ...

no clue i just clicked on this ? cuz I thought u were talking about the group