What can i do about dry skin?

Favorite Answer

Dry Skin (xerosis)

Dry skin, also called xerosis, is a common problem. Your skin needs moisture to stay smooth and supple, and retaining moisture is especially difficult in winter. Central heating of home and other buildings is very drying to the skin.

Simple daily routines, such as bathing and towel drying, may actually remove moisture from the skin. Modifying your bathing routine will help preserve your skin's moisture. Bathing provides the skin will moisturize temporarily, but it removes the skin's oily lipid layer and in the long run causes more moisture loss than gain.

The wrong moisturizing lotion can have the same effect. Generally, water-based lotions (Lubriderm, Keri lotion, others) are best cosmetically but oil-based creams are more effective in trapping moisture.

Source(s): american osteopatic college of dermatology
  • Rita

Contact a Mary Kay Cosmetic representative. I have the worst ever dry skin. My face would peel, my arms and legs would itch - it was a nightmare. A friend started selling Mary Kay and slapped some of that stuff on my face and it burned like crazy. She gave me some to try, which I did, and finally the burning stopped and so did the dry skin. I use the total package now, and haven't had a problem for seven years. It has to be the best product on the market. Good luck, because I know what a pain dry skin is. Oh - I also started recently drinking a lot of water - half my body weight in ounces. Like I weigh 120 pounds so I drink 60 ounces in water. That seems to help, too.

You might want to try tackling this problem from the inside out. There are certain nutrients your skin needs to be healthy, which include Vitamins A, C and E, plus zinc, and essential fatty acids. All of these are available at your health food store or supermarket (get the best quality ones you can afford).

As well, you can try eating oily fish (salmon, etc) for the essentail fatty acids. These can also be found in olive oil, flaxseed oil (can be used as a salad dressing, just like olive oil), ground flaxseeds (sprinkle on cereal or salads). Fish oil capsules are great as well.

Pumpkin seeds (sometimes sold as pepitas) are an excellent source of zinc as well as fatty acids. My mum has psoriasis, and the pumpkin seeds are working wonders for her skin.

Vaseline

For dry skin I would use lotion.

I make sure I drink a lot of water and I put lotion on after I shower, thick moisturizing lotions, body butters etc.

Moisturize.

avon skin so soft it is confirmed to stop wrinkles and to do the job on dryness

Lubriderm has several nice products.

Lotion every day for the next two months.....or more.

Source(s): personal experience