Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

son hurt the side of his head?

I have a stone coffee table and my 11 month old son took a hit on the side of his eye. I do not want to get rid of this table and do not have another table to put there so what can i cover it with so he does not hurt himself again!!!! I know i need cornor guards but i also need to cover it with something nice. any suggestions??

I love my son and AM VERY CONCERNCED about him and yes, he does come before the coffee table. Duh!!!! but there are other alternatives than getting right of it...like buying toddler sheilds like the one lady said to do. I am willing to spend BIG bucks to make the table safe

Favorite Answer

How many bumps and bruises did you get as a child? I know you're trying to protect him, but at 11 months old he should know what "no" means, and you should be using it quite often. If he took the hit as a result of climbing on the furniture when he's not supposed to, then you need to perfect your use of the word "no" at every opportunity. The world doesn't come with corner guards, and you can't protect him from everything forever.

As far as covers go, why not just get some fabric from some place like Walmart (along with the corner guards, which every table should have until a child reaches a certain age because their heads are just attracted to sharp corners as they're learning to walk)? You can get some quilted fabric, and a needle and thread and just hem it up if you really think it's going to be an issue. The table will still, however, be hard no matter what you do. The best thing is to get the corner guards and make sure he understands the meaning of "no." Then don't leave him alone in that room. At 11 months old, kids are fearless, and I'm sure that's not all the trouble he could find in that room. After that, you should be fine.

I would put something all the way around the table edges not just the corners. Then put a pretty cover over it to hide the ugly stuff on the edges. It may not be as nice as your table top, but remember it only needs to be short term till your baby gets around better. you would rather have a happy healthy child than a beautifull table. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Source(s): mom of 4

Sounds harsh, but after he learns that that table is painful, he will learn to steer clear of it. My son hit his head 2x on the coffee table (solid oak), and then learned to keep at least 3 ft of distance from it when he played. Putting bumpers on the table edges will do absolutely no good- (they create a false sense of security!), but moving the table out of the way for a month or so will do wonders~! Just push it off to the side while baby practices walking, then when he gets more confident (by 14 months), put it back in the room again.

I have bought an egg crate before, the kind you put on your bed. Depending on your coffee table, you can use a staple gun and pull it pretty tight over the table and staple it underneath. That way no holes will show once you remove it. Then you can put a table cloth or something over it. Good luck. He'll get more bumps and bruises than you can count. That's just the way kids are.

• Rachel

I know many people won't like my answer but do nothing but the corner guards. Really it can be anything they hurt themselves on, this time just happened to be the table. If he was to hurt himself another couple of times on it then put it away for a couple of months. Kids can hurt themselves on many things and you can't get rid of everything. make sure there are no pointy edges and nothing on the table like a cloth that he could pull off and possibly get hurt by the things that were on it.

There are a lot of crafters out there who want to be sewing something nice ans useful. You can design your own tablecloth with a stuffed edge, pick out a pattern that goes well the room, and find the sewer in the family. or even through a craft/ material store. And YES he will just find something else to bump his head on. And yes you can just ask in here how to protect him from that. Good luck..........

What is more important your sons head or a stone coffee table??? Put the table away until he is a little more stable on his feet. Or put a helmet on him.

Source(s): have 5 adult children with good heads

put a thin foam padding around the tables edge, and put a table cloth over that. works great

I bought these awesome bumpers called toddler shields from a store in California. They are expensive but, have great coverage and have saved my son from so many head injuries. Look them up online.

leave the table alone. It is nice it sounds. Get a football helmet for the baby.