Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why do we refer to the year as two-thousand six and not twenty-o-six?

This has always puzzled me, in the 1900's and I don' think they said one-thousand nine-hundred six when referring to the year.

Favorite Answer

Because of the year 2000, it's the only way to say it, so people naturally said two thousand one. I think it will change come 2010, or twenty-ten... At least thats what my vote is for...

Some do refer to it is twenty-o-six some don't. We probably got in the habit of saying two thousand in the year two 2000 because it sounded better then twenty hundred.

I think it has to do with the hype the year 2000 gained just for being the year 2000. I know I have had several people give me the oddest looks because I have made comments saying twenty-ten in place of two thousand ten. I don't get it either. Are we going to continue saying two thousand?

Two thousand six takes less time than one thousand nine hundred and six.

I know Americans say "twenny o six", which is quite fluid, but for British people, "twenty-o-six" with all consonants pronounced is much more inconvenient than "two thousand six".

First of all, it sounds better. Take this example: Did you know that Paul Revere was just one of three men who rode through town and told everyone the British were coming? The reason everyone knows of Paul Revere is because Henry Wadsworth Longfellow put him in his poem "Paul Revere's Ride." The reason Longfellow put him in the poem was because the other riders' names just didn't sound as good.

Also, we say "two-thousand" because the first two digits are both non-zero digits. It probably sounds better saying two-thousand rather than twenty.

I prefer Two Thousand and Six or '06.

Different strokes for different folks. What really has bugged me all these years is when they say "CDS" when it should be "CBS". This has been going on since the network was started back in the early 50's. Say whatever you want as they are the same thing.

well, when the Y2 Bug hit the USA, they couldn't change 2000 to 20-00 or it would mess up all the finances on computers.

Sir, you may refer to 2007 any way you feel comfortable.

interesting question. probably because society grew up calling the years that way, which got implanted into our brains.