Why does whipping cream after being prepared taste completely different from whipped cream (Cool Whip etc)?

Favorite Answer

Because cool whip is not really cream. It is a dairy substitute.

Also, when commercial whipping cream is made, there are things that are added to it, like high fructose corn syrup or sugar and they taste different.

If you are trying to make good whipped cream from heavy whipping cream, then add a tablespoon or two of sugar and whip it for a long time in the mixer.

Cool Whip is not really whip cream. I think it is some protein with water and sugar. The best is freshly whipped whip cream.

Cool Whip is not whipped cream at all.

Cool Whip is made of water, corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated coconut and palm kernel oil, sodium caseinate, natural and artificial flavorings, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 80, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene. It is non-dairy. (Sugar, water, flavoring and chemicals)

Whipped cream is made from heavy cream and it tastes the way real cream is supposed to taste.

Whipped whipping (heavy) cream is all natural dairy product. Well, not here because I add 10X sugar, but NEARLY all natural. I have no idea what is in Cool Whip etc, but am pretty certain there is NO dairy product in it at all. Kind of like butter and margarine. Butter is pure and natural, margarine is. . well, i have no idea what it is, but I am NOT putting it in my mouth. Not even at gunpoint. Ewwwww!!

Whipping cream is a real dairy product. You're tasting mostly the milkfat and sugar.

Prepared whipped creams are mostly (like a lot of processed food) made from "partially hydrogenated vegetable oils". So....they're not the same ingredients. Partially hydrogenated vegetable oils are basically like taking cooking vegetable oil and adding hydrogen atoms to the oil molecules so they have the texture and color of fats (but not the flavor). Mostly vegetable oils are extracted from soybeans by companies like Cargill, Central Soya, and Archer Daniels Midland ( ADM ). Interesting fact.....there are a whole LOT of grasshoppers in a wagonload of soybeans, and those aren't processed out. You eat a lot of grasshopper guts in a year in everything from margarine to twinkies to almost every processed food. (Doesn't bother me - YUM!)

So short answer....they might (sort of) look the same and have similar textures, but one's dairy milkfat and the other is an artificial fat made from vegetable oil.

Source(s): I am a chemistry teacher, I was raised on a farm, I've unloaded and/or processed hundreds of thousands of bushels of soybeans. Been there, done that, seen it, sold it, packed it. And ate it.

Cool whip is not a milk product, it's fluffy poison. Make it yourself with the real deal, cream.

• Sheila

Cool Whip is not dairy based. I think the label even says non dairy. It's probably something from outer space.

Cool Whip is not whipped cream!

Here's Wikipedia's info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Whip

Source(s): wikipedia
  • sapboi

Is cinimmon your dancing name