Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

Is there a way to test if my wi-fi network is secure?

I am unsure if I have set up my wi-fi security properly and wondered if there is an easy way to check it as I use the web for many financial dealings.

Favorite Answer

If you know the name of your wireless network, or at least have a good idea which one is yours (if other wireless networks are in range), then try the following:

Click Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > double-click on your wireless network connection > click View Wireless Networks button. It will say whether or not the wireless network is secured or not.

Bring a laptop and try to connect to your router. The laptop should request a password/key. However keep in mind that WiFi even when encrypted with a key is still fairly easily cracked these days by people that really want to do it. If your financial dealings are truly very important, connect through an ethernet cable and dsiable wireless acess to your router.

If you set up your wireless network you should know if it is secure or not. If you did set it up and/or are familiar with the setup then you should have WPA or WEP enabled you should be secure enough. Also to make it more secure enable MAC restrictions where only certain MAC addresses can access network. Also do not advertise your SID. Basically if your buddy can bring his laptop over and turn it on and jump on your network without you giving him any settings to set then it is not secure.

If I may make a suggestion: call your router manufacturer and have them help you set up WPA security, not WEP, as WEP can easily be hacked. I don't know how to test it, I just know I was hacked earlier this week and it took nearly 24 hours for me, my cable supplier and Linksys to figure it all out and take the signal back from my thieving neighbor. Don't trust to luck, get technical help.

If you have to enter a password to get online then it is likely that your wireless is secure. There is a free application called NetStumbler (www.netstumbler.com) that shows you all the networks in your area and whether they are secure or not -- it may be useful to you.

Have someone bring over a wireless laptop and try to connect, if they can then it's not.

The otehr way is to connect to the router via a web browser and check the settings. If you don't know what you're doing, reads a manual on the router. It will probably be easier than you think.

• Dan

I would borrow a friends laptop and see if you can connect to it without using any passwords. It should be secure if you have a WEP protection on and a good strong password including letters, numbers and special charictors

yes go get another computer and try to get on the internet and see if it will let you on. If it wont then it is good ans secure.