Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 1 decade ago

I've heard that they screen your blood for STDs when you donate it. Is that true?

I donate blood on a regular basis and I've been told that they run tests on each donation for STDs and other infections, and if they find something, they are required to notify you. Is this true? If so, do you think it could serve as a replacement to getting regular, expensive STD testing?

I would like to add that I am not, as someone put it delicately, a skanky whore. I've been loyally together with my boyfriend for over two years, but before we began having sex I decided to err on the side of safety and get checked. Now, should the need for me to get tested again ever arise, I'd like to know if blood donation is an acceptable alternative to medical testing.

I think being concerned about this issue makes me responsible, not skanky. If you pin that label on everyone who has ever needed an STD test, then you're judging a lot of people you would never have expected.

Favorite Answer

When donating blood, laboratories do test the blood for virual diseases. This is simply because doctors don't want to cross contaminate other patients who recieve blood transfusions. This should not be subsitituted for regular HIV and other STD testing. Certain viruses will require the blood donar center to contact you if there is anything positive such as HIV. But be adivsed that they have no obligation to inform you of any kind of infection. They simply destory the blood you donated.

Source(s): I'm a healthcare provider

First off I'd like to say it's very responsible of you to be concerned about this. People who say "only ____ people get STDs" are dangerously ignorant. These diseases are widespread and we all need to be cautious.

Second, yes, the blood is screened for STDs after donation and they will notify you of a positive result, but it is NOT a replacement for regular STD testing. Not all STDs can be transmitted by blood products and not all can be detected in the blood. (That is, there is not one single STD test. There are different tests to detect different STDs)

I hope this helps, keep taking care of yourself!

If you are in a monogamous relationship (meaning its only you and your partner) then you don't have much to worry about STDs. If you are worried that your bf may be cheating on you then yes getting tested is a good idea. Donated blood gets tested for everything and when they find STDs they do notify the donor. I suggest going to a doctor so that you get your results sooner and you have someone to discuss your infection if you have one.

Ryan White died of aidswhen he contracted tainted blood he got by a transfustion. Although they have greatly improved their testings, mistakes can and always will happen.

To even think of putting blood that you are not sure is healthy into the blood supply of critically ill or injured children and adults is downright vicious. They have it on every single form that you have ever filled out questions about your sexual history. if your not sure of your STD status, you are flat out evil to risk your blood going to someone else.

Lousy way to save a buck.

http://www.cellcurebooster.com/home.htm...

Cell CURE Booster is curing 85% of people being treated for Oral Herpes (HSV-1) , Genital Herpes (HSV-2), Varicella Zoster Virus (VZV) the cause of Shingles and an even better 95% curing people being treated for Coxsackie B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and CMV (Cytomegalovirus) the cause of ME/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) also known as Yuppie Flu. Opportunistic viruses which when treated reduce the load on HIV/AIDS patients immune system.

yes, they do test for stds and they are also required to call the local health department to have on record and notify you so that you can get it taken care of.

Source(s): medical classes

contrary to popular belief they do not check for ST D's they Do how ever check for hepatitis a, b, and c also they check for HIV the virus that causes aids they do not check for the popular viruses like herpes, or hpv these are the most commonly spread viruses and cause cancer in females not to mention there is no cure for these....... You still need a yearly pap smear to check for hpv and blood draws for herpes, syphilis, and gonorrhea

yeas because they need to make sure that they wont be giving some one blood that has stds in it that would kinda suck lol

So they should. You don't want STDs passing to other innocent people.

they do but you should still get checked at your doctor and dont have unprotected sex.