Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

CanI plug my computer into a 100V outlet?

I have an Dell Desktop. It's power supply says 110v on the back. I live in Japan. Can I plug my computer directly into the outlets here (they are all 100v) or will I fry my computer?

8 Answers

  • Dan
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You can go to an electronics shop and purchase an adaptor that will make it safe to use in japan

  • 1 decade ago

    Its perfectly safe; I took a 240 Volt Australian DELL Dimension 8100, and it plugged right in to the US 110 volt system, the key part is the power supply( I had a Tower and a Separate Monitor which both switched seamlessly from Aus 240 to US 110). So long as it either has an auto switching Power unit, or you can manually switch the unit to 110, then all is well.

    You do not need a step down or up unit. Just check the power supply , it usually has a red tag style switch with the numbers.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes you can, as long as its set to 100-120 volts on the computer.

    Most domestic supplies have a variance of up to 10% so you should be safe.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    first you have to check that the Hurtz measurement for both and check they are the same, and it proberly won't fry, just not recieve enough power to work properly, i wouldn't recomend trying it though its the sort of thing i would do

  • lot
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    i'm not attentive to something yet i could think of it could have a step down transformer inline to regulate the voltage unsure why somebody could have a choose for it yet you in no way be attentive to

  • 1 decade ago

    You need an adapter, try radioshack.

  • 1 decade ago

    im no electritian but i think it just wont power on or will funtion half asstly

  • 1 decade ago

    I don't recommend it. Get an adapter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.