PinkScrapper asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Can you give a cat human painkillers such as Advil?

My cat's face is swollen due to a bad tooth. The vet has waited to take it out and now they are closed for holiday. Is there anything I can do until I can get her to the vet on Tuesday? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Hi there....any type of human medications for cats can be lethal unless prescribed specifically by a vet. Dosage for certain medications that are not toxic are based on the cat's age, weight and overall health.

List of drugs to avoid giving cats:

http://maxshouse.com/Drugs_To_Avoid_in_Cats.html

[edit] dogs and cats do not metabolize the same and what's prescribed safe for dogs can be just as lethal for cats.

Please consider only entrusting a veterinarian rather than any of us here who are strangers. Although, some of us are well meaning someone may recommend something which can actually do more harm than help your cat. Only a licenced medical veterinary doctor should be trusted.

Source(s): Animal Trainer to domestic and exotic cats Friend who is a veterinarian
  • rhoat

Cat Painkillers

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): give cat human painkillers advil: https://biturl.im/nr0iG

NO! Advil is Ibuprofen.

When my cat was injured and in pain, the vet prescribed 1/2 tab children's aspirin ("Aspilets"). No kidding. I crushed the half tab and mixed with cat food. I don't know if it eased my cat's pain, but I do know that it did not harm him in anyway.

Years later, when my cat had a toothache, I remembered the aspirin and so I "shaved" about 1/8 of an adult dose (the tab was 325mg so divide that by 8) and mixed that with my cat's wet food. He perked up a bit after that so it may have dulled the pain... I do know that it had no adverse effect on him. A week later, I scheduled my cat for dental work and sure enough, he had to have extractions (4 altogether).

But aspirin is apparently toxic to cats... perhaps toxic only in large doses like if you give the cat one whole adult size aspirin.

Actually you can give your cat Arnica 30C up to three times a day for pain. That is a homeopathic medicine that humans use and you can find it in health foods store and pharmacies that carry homeopathic medicine. I have a bottle in my "cat pharmacy" which was prescribed for my cat by her vet.

I take Arnica at night for arthritis pain.

You probably can't get that by tomorrow anyway because of the holiday so I sincerely hope you will get your cat to the vet when they open on Tuesday so the tooth can be taken care of and you will get medication from the vet if he feels it will help her. Usually the removal of an infected tooth gives immediate relief for the cat. That happened with one of my cats recently.

Pain Killers For Cats

Advil and Tylenol will kill her! If you have to give her any thing give her a child's aspirin. Aspirin will also harm her if too much is given, so keep it to a minimum. Remember cats have a high tolerance to pain and should be fine for a few days.

Source(s): I had a cat with arthritis who took baby aspirins for pain.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awyB3

Absolutely not! It is poisonous to cats. They cannot process it correctly and it will damage their liver! I hate the "take the cat to the vet" answer, because obviously if you had a vet right there, you wouldn't be posting, but in this case, DO NOT MEDICATE THE CAT. If you are that worried, you'll have to go to the vet to get medication that is safe for the cat. Sorry :(

DO NOT DO IT! If you do not have an emergency vet there who you can call for advice, ask your local pharmicist. Even one aspirin or Tylenol can kill a cat--don't take the chance unless advised to by a professional.

Absolutely not. Never use human painkillers unless advised to do so for a vet. You don't know what the reaction is, and also what dosage, so that could be fatal.