promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

EarthquInternet problem cased by underwater earthquake in Taiwan?

Is internet problem caused by earthquake in Taiwan has been repaired 100% yet?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, according to the latest reports it could be some time before the cables are repaired, but they are re-routing traffic to help alleviate problems.

I know accessing sites in Taiwan and Japan is rather hap hazard at times.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

No chance! According to Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&si...

It says that one of the boats out to fix it has had a problem and had to return to base for repairs. It must be a key boat, perhaps the biggest they have, or the only one with the technical equipment, because they said repairs would not START for one week (ie the 8/9th Jan on ONE cable. The damaged boat is scheduled to be back by then so I GUESS it is a key part of the operation. Additonally the weather out there is, it seems pretty bad. For the moment they don't expect all the damage to be repaired until the end of January. My GUESS? They tried to do it in a hurry or with too little preparation, and one or more boats collided, hence the damage. That is speculative guesswork.

The main lesson to be learned perhaps is one that should have been learnt from the military - the orginal design of the internet was such that any link could be replaced by only one link. Each link path therefore had to be capable of handling the total load of the network. But that isn't going to happen if the network is solely in the hands of commercial interests.

On international routes even before the damage, capacity was already insufficient giving very slow speeds to the US and Europe for adsl/broadband users except for certain time slots when the majority in the USA are asleep. Now, with total capacity down by perhaps 50%, connexion on some routes is pretty well impossible.

I would also guess that competition between the ISPs means that some capacity deals have been done quickly. Those who had big wallets and who jumped first got the extra cpacity they needed or part of it. ISPs with less influence or cash to spare .... will probably recover much more slowly.

Note I have used the word guess in the sense of my personal best guess with very limited information. For anyone who doesn't know already, people in Asia at the critical levels in government and business usually don't talk to much about problems. The assumption seems to be that the plebs who use the services are too dumb or unimportant to be told. There is also the risk that the truth might make such people look stupid which is a big no-no at that level. So the true story gets massaged or cut depending on how serious it is.

On a final note, we might also reflect on the vulnerability of such a strained system in the event of terrorist attack or armed conflict. Reading some statements from other sources, it would seem that a small boat with knowledge of the cable locations and minor explosive capability could easily take out communications between continents. What the implications would be for outages if long lengths of these cables were detroyed or if the damage happned in several places along a cable at the same time? I don't think businesses are going to like the sound of that, and that there will be a lot of behind-closed-doors discussions going on about upgrading the networks to improve their redundancy. Again, pretty speculative, but it will be interesting to watch over the next few months. In the end it will be the consumer who pays.

Source(s): http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&si... And some interesting but unverifiable noises around town about what really happened and is happening and why there is an apparent news brown-out.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

HONG KONG: Repairs to Asia's slow Internet, damaged by an earthquake that ripped through key undersea data cables, have been postponed because of a major fault on a ship sent to the fix the problem, officials said on Sunday.

One of two repair ships that laid anchor in the Luzon Strait between Taiwan and the Philippines above the damaged lines experienced a major fault Saturday, Hong Kong's Office of the Telecommunications Authority said.

The ship is now in Taiwan and will take about seven days to fix, the authority said in a statement, pushing back the estimate for initial repairs to one of the cable systems by a week.

"It is estimated that the first part of the repair of a submarine cable system would be completed around 16 January 2007," the statement said, revising the estimate from January 9.

"For the other damaged cables, survey and assessment are being arranged and repair of most of the cables is expected to be completed progressively by the end of January 2007."

The authority said on Saturday that three ships were steaming to the location of the damaged cables.

It reported continued improvement in telephone services on Sunday but warned Web users to expect slower than normal surfing speeds.

Telephone and Internet traffic in many parts of Asia was severely disrupted by the 7.1-magnitude quake off the coast of Taiwan, which killed two people on the island.

Millions were left pining for e-mails and clutching unresponsive telephones, but moves to circumvent the damage by funnelling data through alternative routes have eased some communication woes.

• lot
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

No they're nonetheless engaged on underwater fiber-optic cables which provider maximum web website visitors. somewhat some communications site visitors has been routed to land-strung cables and communications satellites. .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know. Maybe not 100%, but partially working.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am sorry to tell you that it will take up to 3 weeks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.