Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

y do cats when they are stocking somthing and they are real low to the ground but their tail sticks strait up.

like a periscope

Favorite Answer

Not all cats will go into this stance, but many do. Some cats will even crouch low to the ground with their tail between their back legs. Others will either keep the tail stretched out to the back or up in the air for balance purposes. A cat's tail is a huge part of the way it moves and balances itself, just like our toes do for us. This is why when cats fall from a high point, they'll twist those tails arounds to twist their bodies around, so that in the end they can land firmly on their feet. Thus, the old saying that cats have nine lives!!!

• Rukh

Cats use their tails as a counter balance when they move. When I was in Japan I saw a lot of cats with clipped stub-tails (it's a common practice there) to keep them from climbing things.

Usually when a cat stalks its prey it keeps its tail up because its flexing and tensing the muscles in it pelvis and upper legs preparing to leap at it's target the moment it gets close enough to it. The tail comes down the same moment it's legs extend for the jump.

The are getting low to the ground, in their mind, they are still in the plains and deserts of africa where shrubbery and tall grass hide them from their unsuspecting prey.

As far as the tail twitiching part, its anticipation. You're kitty wants to go in for the kill so badly but knows its a bad idea. So instead he twitches his tail.

I just asked my cat Penny this question (she is sitting on my lap)

and she says...its because we want to make sure we can catch what we have...so we stick our stails up because it balances our body.

and Penny says happy new year to you

This is an instinctual crouching stance

cats don't "stock" anything. They usually eat what they catch.

Sometimes they "STALK" though.

• I think it is because they r ready to atttact!

incase they fart it is easier to escape.....lol