Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

is prozac over the counter?

Favorite Answer

No it is a controlled substance under the law requiring a prescription by a physician.

If you are in the US... you cannot get Prozac over the counter. In fact there are no FDA approved depression medications available over the counter. This is maybe not the wisest move on their part, but it is the way it is... Prozac is very strong, and should be prescribed by your doctor or better yet a psychiatrist.

No drug can make underlying problems go away... if you are put on medication it would be wise to have some therapy along with your meds.

• Gail

I take generic Wellbutrin SR (150 mg) in the morning, and Lexapro (10 mg) with dinner, for depression and anxiety. I've been taking that for over two years, and it's working very well for me. The Wellbutrin SR seems to help me to be more alert and active - and wanting to do things - while the Lexapro makes me more mellow, and it helps me sleep better, too. They are relatively low doses of each medication, which keeps side effects at a minimum. I really can't tell I'm taking any medication at all. There are a lot of people that take Wellbutrin with their SSRI's and SNRI's, it helps to counteract some of the possible side effects - such as drowsiness, weight gain, and the sexual side effects. It really does make a difference!!

While prozac is prescription only, it is not a controlled substance. Most anti-depressants are not controlled.

No, it's a prescription drug.

no it is a prescribed antidepressant

no,