How do i stop these headaches?

I often get severe headaches that last up to two or three days at a time. I'm sensitive to light sound and alot of other stuff like laughing and coughing etc. When the headaches happen I usually lay down and don't have any noise and close my blinds and my curtains but they still don't go away. I've tried advil, tylenol, aspirin, even pamprin but they don't help at all. Should I go see a doctor or is it not much to worry about?

Favorite Answer

Drink lots of water as headaches are usually a sign of dehydration.Or it could be that you are a allergic to some thing that you are eating, my sister was getting same sort of problems & the doctors found out she was allergic to chocalate !

You could be having migraines, you should see a Dr. and rule out any serious conditions anyway. The Dr. can give you a prescription for medications to relieve the pain and may be able to give you something to prevent it if they are migraines. Also if you are having migraines you may want to keep a record of things that may trigger your migraine, for example are you having headaches after stressful events, loss of sleep, change in the weather, exposure to bright or strobing lights, if your female are they related to your period just a few examples. Also many people have food triggers like cinnamon, caffeine,and red wine for examples. Finding your triggers may help prevent some headaches, but unfortunately a lot of triggers are out of your control. While migraines may not be life threatening they do interrupt your life but there are quite a few treatments out there for you see your Dr. and stop the pain you owe it to yourself. Good luck and I hope your headaches become a thing of the past.

I feel for you! I used to suffer from those when young.

I did the same thing as you, just laid down. I'm guessing you have the nausea too. The doctor gave me a prescription of something. I only had to take it once and my migraines discontinued after having them weekly.

Some swear by caffeine as relief which is why they're putting it in the over the counter migraine meds. Also melatonin has been said to relieve migraines. I'm putting a link for you to check out. Won't hurt to try the melatonin. It's cheap and can be gotten at Wal-Mart.

Headaches are caused by tight neck muscles, which is the reason you can have a headache on one side only at a time, only the muscles on that side of your head are tight to cause the pain. Your neck muscles go to the top of your head where they connect to muscles going around your head. When the neck muscles get tight they can pull the head muscles into pain and that's your headache. To get rid of the pain you have to free up your neck muscles to release the ones pulled into pain and here's how to free them up: Neck: Place your hands behind your head so your fingers meet in the middle of your neck. Press into the neck with a moderate pressure and hold. After 30 seconds slowly lower your head as far as you can, then remove the pressure from the muscles but continue holding your head down for another 30 seconds. For best results relax your body first by taking a deep breath and exhaling then remain this relaxed.

My boyfriend has chronic migraines and he is on medication for them. Doctors tend to use antidepressants or in his case since he had a non-stop headache for 3 months, they gave him beta blockers. You do need to see a doctor so you can get some medication and also, they may give you some heavy duty pain killer like vicodin when they do hit.

Headache is a pain in the head, scalp or neck. Headaches can be

caused by minor problems like eyestrain, lack of coffee or more

serious reasons like head injury, brain tumors, encephalitis and

meningitis. Taking painkillers continuously can have harmful side

effects, so it is better to modify your lifestyle. More information

available at http://tinyurl.com/q8696

Migraines can be serious. I have luck with Excedrin and sometimes Tylenol Sinus. You need to see a doc if nothing OTC is working as it could be bad. Food and hormones can also trigger migraines. When do they occur? What have you been consuming?

• A few years ago, I have alot of severe headaches every few mths. The doc gave me 2 types of medicines. One is for muscle relaxant another is for high fever/pain/headache. I swear by these 2, especially the muscle relaxant.

Those are a type of migrain headache and you really need to see a doctor about them.

sounds like migraines you need to go to the doctor so he can check them out. he can run some tests to find out what type of headache you are dealing with and prescribe some meds that are appropriate for the type you have.