Does anyone know if a passport is needed to fly to Alaska or Hawaii from within the continental United States?

Favorite Answer

James, you are very brave to ask such a question! Don't be embarrassed for this is how we learn.

Proof of citizenship is not required for travel entirely within the U.S. Even though you would be flying over international waters and/or over Canada to reach our 49th and 50th states, it is still considered to be travel wholly within the united states.

Now, a government-issued photo ID is required to fly domestically (within the U.S.) for passengers 18 y.o. and older. So, the answer is yes and no. A passport is a great photo ID, but a driver's license is acceptable, too.

Source(s): my job

Definitely NOT needed. Even if you weren't an American citizen, a passport wouldn't be needed to fly from the 48 states to Alaska or Hawaii. Just a valid government-issued photo ID of some sort.

• Gail

No you do not need a passport to fly to and from Hawaii. I use to live their for awhile but now I live back in the states.

No you don’t need one to fly to Alaska or Hawaii. However soon you will have to have one to get back in the USA if you drive to Mexico or Canada.

See link below.

Both are states within the US. Thus, a passport is not required unless you have no other form of ID ... which is needed to board a flight.

why? alaska and hawaii are part of the US! you only need passports if you travel to COUNTRIES outside the US.

• Steph

Umm Dory..im pretty sure...no actually positive there are 50 States in The US....I hope you were kidding with 51...

• DORY

HELLO,,48, 49, 50, 51,! My goodness, Hooked on phonics? Not! Geography, Not! So now what? Another violation? SAD, SO SO, SAD! Who is fighting the war, I'd like to know?

No you dont need a passport.

no- unless you land outside the U.S. Border