How can I convince my employer to sponsor me for a green card?

My employer is reluctant to sponsor me for a green card, because they are afraid that I will leave the company after I get my green card. They want to wait until my H-1B visa expires (6 years). How could I possibly convince them to do it earlier?

Favorite Answer

Offer to sign a contract that binds you as an employee for the next six years. Let them know, in writing, your request and why you want a green card. Maybe your reasons will be convincing to them. Your contract should be fair to you... but also allow for your employer to recoup their loss if you should leave the company once you have received your green card. Let them know the advantages of having a green-card worker rather than a H-1B visa worker. Note that the laws have changed.... so it may actually "save" them money to let you switch. Understand your position, what you are asking of them (know what they will have to actually do in order to "sponsor" you), and what it is going to cost. If you offer to do most of the "footwork" and the hard stuff, they might be more willing to sponsor you. Good luck!

This is why we call the H-1b visa an "Indentured Servant Visa". Your employer is scum for not sponsoring you for the greencard. They should be ashamed. This is nothing more than a corporate subsidy and what I personally call "slavery-light".

Join BrightFutureJobs.org or noslaves.org and help change the arcane H-1b visa laws. The H-1b harms both American and foreign workers. The only purpose is to meet the desires of corporations to have an exploitable class of labor.

The H-1b should be banned. If there is a shortage in an occupation, that shortage should be proven through independent numbers - not industry numbers. Foreign workers entering that occupation should be given a green card instantly, so that they can work on the free market. The current ties to an employer make you the most vulnerable in our society.

Good Luck.

To have this company sponsor you for your green card, keep in mind that you can't really wait until your H-1B expires. You have to start the application at least two or one year prior.

Because he does not trust you....