When I turn on my computer, all I get is a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner.?

I was loading the software for a new printer. Halfway through the process, the software stopped loading. I took the CD out and tried to shut down the computer. The computer was shutting down slowly and so, in haste, I just shut the system off. Now, when I turn it on, I get the Dell logo for a few seconds, then just a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. How can I get the computer to boot up? (I did try hitting F2 and F12 when the Dell logo appears, but nothing happened. This is a dell desktop running Windows XP.

Favorite Answer

click over and over on the F8 key when it starts to boot. then use arrows to go up to safe mode then click enter. then click system restore and set to date before this started and then click restore. this should take you back to the state of computer was before started installing it. good luck.

• Erika

Press F-12 many cases amazing once you alter it directly to get to the boot menu. decide for Dell diagnostics and run them. in case you isn't able to get to the boot menu, then you definately've a severe hardware undertaking that optimum probably demands a fix center to diagnose. i could re-seat each and every of the cables interior the case (w/ the device off) and re-try. activate w/ the case open and be sure all followers are working. Then i could disconnect / do away with any non-needed components - CD/DVD stress, NIC, modem... .

Call Dell tech support. 1-800-WWW-DELL.

Geek squad can also help. Good luck.

It sounds hard drive tracks are messed up.