Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Does anyone know the average cost to shock treat a well?

We have well water and have all the signs of bacteria (rotten egg water, black ooze on inside of toilet tanks) and I would like to know how much it costs to have our well shock treated to get rid of the problem.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • zen522
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You do not have bacteria. What you have is commonly called ( black Iron ) or its true name manganese.

    Shocking the well will not get rid of this. It will put it into suspension for a short time and then it will be back. This is coming out of your ground water and will keep coming.

    Here is a link to a water company I deal with all the time that can take care of this problem.

    http://www.h2osystems.org/

    Source(s): Working Engineer
  • 1 decade ago

    Check the yellow pages in your area for water well drillers.They can do this with no problems.All it involves is dropping some chlorine tablets in it ,letting it set and pumping it off.Costs vary with location,type of well casing etc.Your county health dept can test the water for you usually for free or a nominal cost. Hope this helps.

    Source(s): former water well driller
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    How To Treat A Well

  • 1 decade ago

    you can use pool shock treatment. mix with a couple gallons of water and dump down the caseing. rinse the caseing down with your hose from the house and let it sit for overnight if possible run the water untill the smell of clorine disapears a small amount is acceptable for drinking. I have the same trouble I usualy do it in the spring and use the watter to fill the pool.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Shock your well with a half gallon of clorox and clean your toilet with a clorox base cleaner. That is the start of mold.

  • 1 decade ago

    whatever a couple bottles of bleach cost - that is all we ever used to "shock" our well ( but then - we also used a shotgun in it when the sand points built up )

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.