Kim O asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

how much food a day should u feed a new min. pin puppy a day...6 weeks old?

i have a 6 week miniature pincher puppy..how much dry food(CANIDAE) should i be feeding him daily?

Favorite Answer

I breed min pins and I have 4 and I leave food down at all times with my min pins that way they can eat when they get hungery but i pick it up at bed time,, I hope this has helps and good luck with your new min pin they are so cute and great dogs,,,

You said 8 week old. When did you get her? Any puppy that is removed from it's littermates before 8 weeks of age will be prone to behavior problems. Puppies are weened at 5-6 weeks and from 6-8 weeks they are learning social skills, bite inhibition, and how to be nice little babies. You may consider talking to your breeder but they probably aren't going to be much help, especially if they gave you such a young baby. Your going to have to be kind but firm with her. If she starts to act like that you may have to grab her by the scruff of the neck and give her a little shake and a firm "NO". Don't SHAKE her, simply give a slight side to side motion that allows her to know you mean business. That's what her litter mates would do. And if she bites too hard, you need to let out a yelp/scream like she's killing a littermate. It should be so startling that she'll let go. Don't JERK your hand away or it will become a game.

for all small/miniature breed dogs it is best to either leave food out all the time or feed 2 times a day. If you leave the food out it will be harder to house train as you will not have a "schedule". If your puppy is a good eater, (eats when you put out food) offer food 2X a day. If puppy is not a good eater (picky, not eat as soon as you put it out) leave food out initally since the risk of a small puppy not eating is greater than getting the potty schedule down. After the puppy gains some weight and is about 10-12 weeks you need to start a regular schedule no matter what or you will have lots of (for eating) trouble with the house training. If the puppy came from a breeder- call the breeder and ask them your questions they will be happy to give lots of good advice.

Source(s): several small dogs

Feed them 3 times a day. Leave it down if he doesn't take to the food.

6 weeks old seems quite young to have a puppy so make sure he gets enough protein and vitamins.

We used to feed ours an egg in his dinner once he got a bit older, and use Evaporated milk. It's the nearest thing to bitches milk you can get.

Dry food seems a little early, so make sure he has a good variety.

• CF_

good food!!!

there will be a chart on the side of the bag - you should follow that..

different foods require different feeding amounts based on quality - this is an excellent quality food -

break the TOTAL amount into 3 or 4 feedings... (4 is better until for a few more weeks)

1/2 c. 3 times a day

With a 6 week old pup, you better leave the food out for it all day long. It should not be weaned yet, but since it is, make sure it has food available at all times, except at bedtime, the food should be picked up then.

I would leave it out all day, I tried to feed 3 times aday but my little dog didnt seem to like that very much and she is much more happy with it sitting out for her all day.

a young puppy should always be getting food 3 times a day. when it starts getting older please feed it twice. then after that when it gets older it can only be fed once a day.

probly about a bowl our 2 a day