Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

The Spazz asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

how much bleeding is normal after having an IUD?

I got an IUD about 2 weeks ago and i have had bleeding ever since. i have no plain or cramps and the bleeding is not very heavy. but is it normal to bleed for 2 weeks straight?

Favorite Answer

I think that everyone is going to have a different experience when it come to this type of thing. I personally, bled for about two weeks+.... and some days were heavier than others, but for the most part I bled pretty lightly. It will get lighter and lighter and go away. I have had my IUD (5-year Mirena hormonal) for almost 9 months now... and i haven't had a period yet. I am still nursing my daughter so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I hope my experience helps you a little bit. If You bleed worse.. I would definatly call and make an appointment with your doc.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

• JS

When I got my IUD I had more bleeding days then not. It wasn't heavy. Which IUD did you get one causes more bleeding then the other? You can always call the Dr's office and talk to the nurse to help ease your mind.

It is possible, I had an IUD for 10 years, you need to call your GYN and let them know because you want to make sure it is in place and has not moved. With all of the bleeding you are having it is possible that it could move.

I've had my IUD in for almost 2 years. I bled for almost the first 2 months straight and haven't bled again since.

The best thing to do is telephone the medical care provider who inserted the IUD and explain what is going on with your body.

It could be that you're spotting really heavily, in which case this is perfectly normal. I would suggest that you call your doctor and make an appointment for next week to get everything checked out and make sure it hasn't done something odd.

Sorry i can not answer your question, yet i can allow you to recognize that if that's mandatory they could remove it. My physician recommended Mirena to me and he advised me it would want to be bumped off at any time.

About a gallon