Why should New Years' Day be gazetted as a public holiday? It's just another day....?

Favorite Answer

Well, New Year's is the start of the new year. I am not sure how it was chosen, though I suppose it doesnt really matter. The point of celebrating is that you are starting a new year, with new goals, oppurtunies, etc. It IS another day, but a new year. =)

Source(s): My head

Every public holiday is "just another day" that we celebrate to remind us of some historical ( or otherwise important ) event. It doesn't mean thet we shouldn't celebrate them 'cuz they're just plain old "days" ! At least we need such excuses to keep being happy...

It shouldn't be..but in this dollar driven world it is recognized as a great way to get people to spend more money. As all "holidays" are now viewed. Hyped up to the max and getting the consumer further and further into debt.

Because it celebrates a new year and that's something everyone should celebrate making it through another year but some people take it a little to far.

• Stuart

Yup. So is Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, Independence Day, etc.

good question..i dont know but at least most people have a 3 day weekend to start the new year with their families...a nice tradition i would say

• mo

I believe it is a Religious Holiday.

It's another 'excuse' day. It gives the people that like to get drunk and get high an excuse to get drunk and get high.

This is the official "it is okay to get drink and go crazy day."

nothin