Why should New Years' Day be gazetted as a public holiday? It's just another day....?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, New Year's is the start of the new year. I am not sure how it was chosen, though I suppose it doesnt really matter. The point of celebrating is that you are starting a new year, with new goals, oppurtunies, etc. It IS another day, but a new year. =)

Source(s): My head
  • 1 decade ago

Every public holiday is "just another day" that we celebrate to remind us of some historical ( or otherwise important ) event. It doesn't mean thet we shouldn't celebrate them 'cuz they're just plain old "days" ! At least we need such excuses to keep being happy...

• 1 decade ago

It shouldn't be..but in this dollar driven world it is recognized as a great way to get people to spend more money. As all "holidays" are now viewed. Hyped up to the max and getting the consumer further and further into debt.

• 1 decade ago

Because it celebrates a new year and that's something everyone should celebrate making it through another year but some people take it a little to far.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Stuart
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yup. So is Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, Independence Day, etc.

• 1 decade ago

good question..i dont know but at least most people have a 3 day weekend to start the new year with their families...a nice tradition i would say

• mo
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I believe it is a Religious Holiday.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's another 'excuse' day. It gives the people that like to get drunk and get high an excuse to get drunk and get high.

• 1 decade ago

This is the official "it is okay to get drink and go crazy day."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

nothin

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.