Do i need to wear a splint for a broken collar bone?

I broke my collar bone and one doctor says i need to wear my splint or else it wont heal correctly while on the other hand this different doctor says that the splint is only for cumfort. I want to agree with the second one because sometimes im more cumfortable with it and other times im more cumfortable without it.

I broke it like right in the middle and the too sides are overlaping, I broke it like 4 or 5 weeks ago.

im gonna have a lump weather i wear it or not

my doctor also said that theres no way for the two sides to get closer to normal

Favorite Answer

given the location of a collarbone, I think putting a splint on it would be pretty difficult. Though putting the arm on the broken side in a sling can be of benefit by taking some pressure or stress off the shoulder and collar bone. But regardless, the key is to do whatever you need to to both feel more comfortable and to keep you aware of yoru injury while it heals so you don't do anything to further aggravate it.

Immediatly after you brake your collar bone you should wear a figure eight--its a cloth brace that is warpped around both shoulders and has you basically sitting up straight. This ensures that the bone is in place and ready to heal right. If you wait to long and the healing process is already begun you just wear a sling to make sure you dont move the arm the broken collar bone is at.

You need a sling, cause youre like my case. I broke my collar bone and 3 doctors x rayed it and kept telling me it wasnt broke. But it was totally borke and I was in pain. When they finally figured out it was broken 3 weeks later they just gave me a sling, but my bone popps out of my neck. And I dont have as elegant a shoulder as I used to.

Wearing that splint is probably the best thing you can do for your collar bone so it can heal correctly. I would try to wear it as much as possible, you don't want any problems down the road. Good luck!!

• Erika

Brace For Broken Collarbone

You should have had a follow-up appointment with a doctor after the emergency room visit (any time now would be good). My son had to wear the sling for about 3 weeks or so I think (it's been awhile, so I forget exact times). You need the follow-up appointments with someone specialized in that type of injury to make sure it's healing correctly and to determine the best course of action for your treatment.

WEAR YOUR SPLINT.

My dad was an award-winning college football player and broke his collarbone. He didn't wear a splint, so today the bone (which broke in two places and the middle section popped up above the rest, exactly like you) is a big lump. wear it or suffer the aesthetically displeasing lump!

yes you do need to where one. It helps to pull the broken edges of the bone closer together. If you choose not to the your broken side will be shorter than the other. I broke mine 16 years ago and still have a bump and that shoulder is a little shorter but would be much worse had i not worn the brace

There is really nothing you can do for a broken collar bone but I am not a doctor You doctor will need to determine that

yeah, it sux but a splint is needed. i broke my too, so i know what ur going through!! but dont worry, it heals relle fast!! and to speed up healing, take calcium supplements until youvd healed. hope i helped... good luck!!! :)

the best thing is to do is nothing only let it heal on its own!!!